News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Semi hot/reactionary take after a bike ride with multiple close calls - slip lanes should never mix with MUP crossings. I'd wager that more than half of the drivers don't even bother to turn their head to look as they cruise through the zebra crossing trying to make their turn.

Semi hot/reactionary take after a bike ride with multiple close calls - slip lanes should never mix with MUP crossings. I'd wager that more than half of the drivers don't even bother to turn their head to look as they cruise through the zebra crossing trying to make their turn.
I hate crossing slip lanes because of how hard it is to check for cars coming behind you.

I'm a big bike/active transportation advocate. What's unfortunate here is that this test/pilot space is being created to "improve a substandard bike route that needs upgrades to accommodate cyclists of all ages and abilities."

But as soon as you pass through this new protected section, if heading east, you have to bike along 100 Ave east of 116 Street where cyclists of all ages and abilities are not accommodated. There is no bike lane and the vehicle traffic is a lot heavier and at higher speeds. Isn't that going to impact ridership along the promenade for this pilot if people don't feel as safe getting to this area from the east or leaving this area heading east? Do they stop when they get to the east end of the promenade and then turnaround?

1656020956233.png

I had a very similar thought. I get the impression you're expected to go down the hill and if you want to go downtown, use another route. Having said that, 100 Ave appears to be identified as a missing link in the city's bike plan
Even coming up the hill and wanting to link up with the railtown MUP path down to the east, that section along 100 Ave is a pretty glaring missing link (the pavement condition sucks too).

well after a long weekend of volunteering at a bike race, I came away with a different perspective about our cycling network. Everyone I talked with that came into town for the cycling nationals were quite surprised by how easy the trail system and MUP system was to navigate around the city. Riders found it easy to get out for training rides and getting out to the country from the various hotels. Cycling Canada brass found just going for a rec ride was an enjoyable experience. Other than the lack of any press (Global did show up one day). things looked pretty good. Other than Paula Findlay wining the time trial I saw nothing in the press.

well after a long weekend of volunteering at a bike race, I came away with a different perspective about our cycling network. Everyone I talked with that came into town for the cycling nationals were quite surprised by how easy the trail system and MUP system was to navigate around the city. Riders found it easy to get out for training rides and getting out to the country from the various hotels. Cycling Canada brass found just going for a rec ride was an enjoyable experience. Other than the lack of any press (Global did show up one day). things looked pretty good. Other than Paula Findlay wining the time trial I saw nothing in the press.

Thanks for volunteering! it was a great event and I think it showed our city very well. Two disappointments for me: I thought there would be more spectators, I guess the weather played a part and that the finishing hill is not hard enough to make a selection. I don't think we will get a Pro Tour race like Montreal or Quebec City.

Thanks for volunteering! it was a great event and I think it showed our city very well. Two disappointments for me: I thought there would be more spectators, I guess the weather played a part and that the finishing hill is not hard enough to make a selection. I don't think we will get a Pro Tour race like Montreal or Quebec City.
They really didn't advertise it well tbh. Only found out about it weeks before, and would totally have done the Sunday ride if I found out earlier.

The one big let down was the lack of knowledge and press.

Riders wanted a tougher course. People I know that have worked on other events say the city is hard to work with. but the attitude is changing. I think they should shift the climb past the ledge over to 106st and go up to 100 ave from there. It means periodic closure of a may route but they were doing that to 109st. One other idea I heard was take it into Riverdale and then up Cameron Hill.

The one big let down was the lack of knowledge and press.

Riders wanted a tougher course. People I know that have worked on other events say the city is hard to work with. but the attitude is changing. I think they should shift the climb past the ledge over to 106st and go up to 100 ave from there. It means periodic closure of a may route but they were doing that to 109st. One other idea I heard was take it into Riverdale and then up Cameron Hill.
Bellamy Hill was the Tour of Alberta KOM if I recall correctly and seemed to work well (it is a tough climb, probably one of the toughest in the city IMO).

Back