News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Councillors approve energy plan that puts Edmonton on the road to a net-zero future

CplKlinger

Member Bio
Reaction score
"Council's executive committee agreed Monday that council as a whole should approve the Community Energy Transition Strategy at a meeting next week. The plan aligns with goals of the Paris Agreement, which aims to limit greenhouse gas emissions in an effort to keep the global temperature increase to no more than 1.5 degrees above average, and to become carbon neutral by 2050.

The strategy would expand on current investments like the district energy system in the Blatchford neighbourhood, along with an electric vehicle charging infrastructure, more electric buses and LRT, and energy efficiency standards for new buildings. The energy initiatives are estimated to cost Edmonton $100 million a year, plus capital costs for new city buildings starting in the 2023-2026 budget cycle. The city would also need consistent investment totalling about $2.4 billion a year from the federal and provincial governments and the private sector."

Last edited:
I love the idea of the plan, and really hope it can be implemented so Edmonton won't be left behind the world. The difficult part will be implementation, especially in times where there are limited funds, and allocated resources to this come at the expense of other initiatives and projects. I really hope Edmonton has the political will and support to make this happen.

Council approves new energy transition strategy​

April 21, 2021

City Council approved a new and ambitious Community Energy Transition Strategy earlier this week. The new strategy introduces targets aligned with the Paris Agreement and outlines economic opportunities for Edmontonians.

“We are already seeing the consequences of climate change,” said Stephanie McCabe, Deputy City Manager, Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development. “Energy transition is a way to create local jobs today, while reducing emissions and avoiding the most catastrophic impacts like increased wildfires and urban flooding that science has warned us about.”

For Edmonton to become carbon neutral by 2050, the new strategy is designed to accelerate change in four transformational areas:
  1. Renewable and Resilient Energy Transition
  2. Emissions Neutral Buildings
  3. Low Carbon City and Transportation
  4. Carbon Capture and Nature Based Solutions

“The Energy Transition Strategy is a jobs, public health and quality of life plan, as much as it is a climate response,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “This strategy builds on our proud heritage as energy problem solvers here in the heart of Canada’s traditional energy economy, to remain prosperous through the transition to a carbon-neutral economy.”

Decisions we make now on building design, transportation systems and energy infrastructure will set the course for our future greenhouse gas emissions. The new Community Energy Transition Strategy will help shape Edmonton’s future economy and the way Edmonton is built — transforming how energy is generated, how people move around the city and how buildings are constructed. The City acknowledges and thanks all of the stakeholders involved for sharing their insight, feedback and support to ensure a just and equitable energy transition.​
S.gif
S.gif

For more information:
edmonton.ca/EnergyTransitionUpdate

Media contact:
Ashish Mohan
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-999-9428​

54905a37-174b-418a-ab01-0558ff51e110.png

Edmonton has the highest per capita emissions of any municipality in Canada, according to the University of Alberta.

The city emitted the equivalent of 18 tonnes of carbon dioxide per person in 2020. In comparison, Calgary emitted 14 tonnes, and Vancouver emitted six tonnes in 2019.

Thanks for posting this Ian.
Almost a third of our GH gases from vehicle emissions. My buddy and I rode our bikes to get our vaccines at the Expo Centre yesterday. We laughed because there were only TWO lonely bike racks in a sea of vehicle parking spaces to lock our bikes - and not surprisingly, they were both empty, haha, so we were in luck.

On a more positive note, I ran into a neighbour coming out of the elevator at my Oliver condo. He was going up with his bike while I was leaving with mine. He and his wife bought bikes last year during the start of COVID, and now they bike a lot including visiting her parents in Belvedere (a 50min one way ride for them). He has lost 40 pounds in the last year and is now at 250. He still loves his car, too, but said he has gained a greater appreciation for the city and neighbourhoods since biking, not to mention a smaller waistline and better health.

Last edited:

Back