News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

City of Grande Prairie Updates

Nice catch @CplKlinger -- the original design for this campus is from the computer of my associate Douglas Cardinal. I have let him know that he should follow up with the current administration for any expansion plans.
That's amazing, please let us know when/if you hear back from him! NWP had originally applied to become a university, and the NDP government accepted this. But the UCP overturned that decision and made them a polytechnic instead (same story for Red Deer Polytechnic). Hopefully they still see the sort of sustainable growth and program diversity that they wanted to achieve by becoming a University.

@CplKlinger attached are some photos of the soon-to-be Northwestern Polytechnic institution courtesy Douglas Cardinal...
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.44.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.44.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.45.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.45.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.45.56 AM.png

Be nice if Cardinal could be involved with any expansion. I believe he wasn't involved with the last expansion. To many facilities have been expanded without his involvement or input.

St Albert Place is getting a major Life Cycle upgrade in a couple of years i believe.

@Airboy I have let Doug know about potential expansions on one-time DC projects in Alberta. Doug, myself and a Washington D.C. architect/urban planner -- J. Murray McCombs -- are opening a joint office in Edmonton in 2022 with a vested interest in some Edmonton and area projects (hopefully we can get past any COVID upticks to the contrary).

@Airboy I have let Doug know about potential expansions on one-time DC projects in Alberta. Doug, myself and a Washington D.C. architect/urban planner -- J. Murray McCombs -- are opening a joint office in Edmonton in 2022 with a vested interest in some Edmonton and area projects (hopefully we can get past any COVID upticks to the contrary).
Do these potential projects include the passenger rail service at the Coliseum building?

St Al place doesn't sound like any Arch change other than the operational side, Mech Elect updates. It is kind old now. I worked on Spruce Grove a number of years back. Mostly Mechanical as well. Most of DCs project around here are of the age that major system upgrades are now necessary.

Yes @Airboy MEP design has changed a lot over (particularly) the last decade. Personally I like the technology changes and new systems protocols.
yes, we can do a lot with less. I keeps amazing me how much we can change a system when we upgrade but use less space. DCs projects were always a slight challenge to ventilate and heat but the tech we have now makes things easier. But Then I bitch about Architects all the time not giving us room to run our mechanical systems.

@Airboy I do my own MEP and Structural Design using the latest technologies so it is typically not a problem installation-wise. I love the advances in Heat Pump technology and in internal recirculation and air filtration systems. We do a ton of restaurant design so air changes and exhaust and make-up air systems can often be a challenge (but who doesn't love a challenge?).

@Airboy I do my own MEP and Structural Design using the latest technologies so it is typically not a problem installation-wise. I love the advances in Heat Pump technology and in internal recirculation and air filtration systems. We do a ton of restaurant design so air changes and exhaust and make-up air systems can often be a challenge (but who doesn't love a challenge?).
But even the kitchen systems have gotten better. at least control wise. we've been doing a few old schools and are bringing them up to todays ventilation guidelines. nice to be able to fit our new systems in the old spaces. Its just getting things in and out of the buildings that is the challenge. we are currently doing a pool upgrade. all the mechanical is below grade and not easily accessible, so we are tunneling into the side of the building.

Back