7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

City of Edmonton approves 20 km/h speed limits through Residential Zones

Stevey_G

Member Bio
Reaction score
Excerpt from CBC Article:

"In a move that has shocked Edmontonians, Edmonton City Council has doubled down on it's Vision Zero Initiative by reducing the recently changed Residential Speed Limits from 40 km/h, to 20 km/h.

Mayor Sohi spoke with CBC Journalist Alex Jones on the matter Friday afternoon: "We believe that this move is the next logical step in providing a safe space for pedestrians on our streets. By allowing vehicles, cyclists, and joggers to share the same speed of travel, we ensure that no more vehicular related incidents will happen in the city. This is indeed a triumph for our Councilors, and we should applaud their hard work on fostering and encouraging a stronger safety culture on city streets."

Mayor Sohi answered questions regarding the funding of new signage, after having recently implemented reductions across the city. CBC was told that albeit speed limit changes will be implemented as of April 30, 2022, signage will be changed over the course of the next two years as funding allows.

Mayor Sohi also stated that funding for new automated enforcement booths has come available, and will be dispatched within all communities over the coming weeks."

CBC Article: CBC Beat: City approves overnight speed limit reduction in residential...

Excerpt from CBC Article:

"In a move that has shocked Edmontonians, Edmonton City Council has doubled down on it's Vision Zero Initiative by reducing the recently changed Residential Speed Limits from 40 km/h, to 20 km/h.

Mayor Sohi spoke with CBC Journalist Alex Jones on the matter Friday afternoon: "We believe that this move is the next logical step in providing a safe space for pedestrians on our streets. By allowing vehicles, cyclists, and joggers to share the same speed of travel, we ensure that no more vehicular related incidents will happen in the city. This is indeed a triumph for our Councilors, and we should applaud their hard work on fostering and encouraging a stronger safety culture on city streets."

Mayor Sohi answered questions regarding the funding of new signage, after having recently implemented reductions across the city. CBC was told that albeit speed limit changes will be implemented as of April 30, 2022, signage will be changed over the course of the next two years as funding allows.

Mayor Sohi also stated that funding for new automated enforcement booths has come available, and will be dispatched within all communities over the coming weeks."

CBC Article: CBC Beat: City approves overnight speed limit reduction in residential...
That's not slow enough though, won't signs be changed eventually to 10km/h? Just think about how safe the roads will be then.

lol.

I got April Fools'd pretty bad yesterday. The night earlier I dreamt I'd died in a fiery plane crash after watching Downfall on Netflix. Woke up at 3am with a flight to Edmonton at 7AM.

Then, as the plane is rolling down the tarmac at YXX, I get this facebook update from Solarham advising of an x20 coronal mass ejection. Now, being that I'm an Aurora forecaster, I know this would make this the biggest solar event ever recorded. And the article claimed parts of the sun had been blown off. Anticipating that we would be FLYING DURING A CARRINGTON EVENT, I had about 10 seconds of panic and almost called the flight attendant to advise on grounding the plane (because Air traffic control obviously wouldn't be advised of a civilization ending solar flare).

Anyways, I've never been had on April Fools day, and I never would have guessed that the nerds at SolarHam would be the ones to ever get me. Turns out I wasn't the only one, three forecasters happened to be on departing flights when they saw the post. It's worth of looking up on facebook, the comments are gold. 😄

This is an April fools joke right??
only the part about it being a reduction in speeds... in too many neighborhoods, even with the windrows almost gone and most of the street width back (except when the garbage collection bins are out) the potholes are still too numerous and too deep to maintain a steady 20kph top speed. :)

only the part about it being a reduction in speeds... in too many neighborhoods, even with the windrows almost gone and most of the street width back (except when the garbage collection bins are out) the potholes are still too numerous and too deep to maintain a steady 20kph top speed. :)
That’s what we call “passive deterrence.”

Back