CNIB Redevelopment | 106m | 32s | ONE Properties | Wallman Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Old article but I think about it everytime a new LED feature lights up.

I wouldn't mind if Edmonton looked more like Paris, with all its beautiful old 5 story buildings, but lets not be delusional. If I had to pick we are far more like Las Vegas architecture wise.

However, I appreciate the sentiment, lets not overdo the huge electronic bill boards, etc... When it comes to lighting, sometime tasteful and less is more.

While I am on the topic, if we really want to be more like Paris, the first step would to stop tearing down our older buildings of that size and era . The next step would be to add a few more that fit in with that style. Maybe Manchester Square is not everyone's cup of tea, but I feel it is an example our city can accommodate a variety of styles.

E9C3C17E-AFF7-4D92-8440-5440EA8A3FEA.jpeg
45828E29-A383-4A31-9610-A05CD94D493E.jpeg

I wouldn't mind if Edmonton looked more like Paris, with all its beautiful old 5 story buildings, but lets not be delusional. If I had to pick we are far more like Las Vegas architecture wise.

However, I appreciate the sentiment, lets not overdo the huge electronic bill boards, etc... When it comes to lighting, sometime tasteful and less is more.

While I am on the topic, if we really want to be more like Paris, the first step would to stop tearing down our older buildings of that size and era . The next step would be to add a few more that fit in with that style. Maybe Manchester Square is not everyone's cup of tea, but I feel it is an example our city can accommodate a variety of styles.
I disagree, it’s all about context and the different type of contexts, whether it’s seasonal or geographical or a combo of both. 7 months out of the year the entire city is grey and white. You can look up and down left and right and everything is grey and white. We should be encouraging colours, I’m not saying there should be billboards everywhere but then again this is an entertainment district. It’s not like they proposed to have led rgb strips around the parliament building. When everything isn’t grey it’s muddy for the entire month of March. Colour has shown to significantly boost serotonin levels in the brain, especially when you live in a greyer environment. Now I don’t think the answer is so black and white, the answer is somewhere in the middle. I understand the controversy with having digital ads at the top but that shouldn’t stop light fixtures from being put up. There just needs to be some sort of compromise.

I am 100% in favour of going a bit stupid with colour and lighting here. I would be totally OK with downtown being plastered with so many signs and colours and lights and billboards and banners that it looks like Akihabara. We can dial it back as we move into lower density areas, but especially in the core CBD and along Jasper we need to dial it up to 11.

Colour has shown to significantly boost serotonin levels in the brain, especially when you live in a greyer environment. Now I don’t think the answer is so black and white, the answer is somewhere in the middle. I understand the controversy with having digital ads at the top but that shouldn’t stop light fixtures from being put up. There just needs to be some sort of compromise.
Stantec is so big and promenant it gives off a weird panopticon vibe to start with, and looking up and seeing a bright Ford logo from pretty much anywhere in the city is kind of spooky. I do think the tower should have kept it mind, just without the advertisements. The building that did LEDs the best is Telus Sky. I'm always very impressed by that lightshow.

5f93175adc3cf.jpg

CNIB looks good, and I wish others in that area can be retrofitted for some sort of coloured lights, even if it's just lamps.

On this topic, The Mayfair seems to have stopped turning their LEDs on from what I've noticed. Does anyone know why? Was it complaints from the residents?

Back