News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Capital Line LRT

The one thing that makes me excited about the Valley Line is that everywhere it goes, there is already something there. I feel a lot of the Capital Line stops are so far from any community, even on the southern leg (south campus). Worse case scenario with the Valley Line the people and density already there will be serviced well. I agree I feel the North leg of the Capital Line needs some real work, but there is also lots of potential!

@Reecemartin Ah. I guess it will also depend on what comes out of that same study, as some of the option propose leveling out 118 Ave and moving the station further south. Personally I'm for that suggestion; the underpass is just too much of a barrier that would hold back any meaningful development and reconnection of the nearby communities.

DqsRXhEU0AY7Ope.jpg:large

Edmond Chui‏@EdmondChuiHW
Progress on the new ground-level station access to Stadium Station! #yegbike #yegwalk #yegtransit #yeg #yegcc #yeg #yegplan @CityofEdmonton @PlanEdmonton @e_backstrom @BrookfieldYEG @estolte https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/14m-partnership-aims-to-see-new-community-flourish-around-stadium-lrt-station…
https://twitter.com/EdmondChuiHW/status/1056957638288658433

Apparently the city purchased at least one of Calgary's old U2 C-Train vehicles (car 2066), as I learned from a set of photos on Flickr:

CN Rail Edmonton, East Junction.
by Corey Panchyshyn, on Flickr

It is apparently to be scrapped for parts to maintain the already-refurbished U2 fleet.

Last edited:
Ha that is cool! I wonder how they got it here, as the rail line between Edmonton and Calgary is Canadian Pacific Owned and the rails in that part of town are owned by Canadian National. I guess they may have just transferred it or something...

I think that typically Rail companies share cars related to their destination. Here in SoCal I often see CN and CP cars.

Starting Sunday, May 3, major LRT maintenance and revitalization projects will get underway as we resume our TLC for LRT initiative that began last year. Edmonton’s 40-plus year-old LRT network needs maintenance and upgrades to ensure it continues serving Edmontonians reliably and efficiently for the long-term.

McKernan/Belgravia LRT Station Closure
From May 3 until July, McKernan/Belgravia LRT Station will be closed to passengers to conduct platform repairs and tile replacement. Trains will continue to pass through the station, but will not stop to pick up or drop off passengers. Customers can use South Campus or Health Sciences to board or exit the LRT. Alternatively, bus routes 4 and 106 travel to/from South Campus and Health Sciences. We recommend customers check takeETS.com for their up-to-date trip planning information.

“We continually do our best to minimize disruptions for our passengers. A full station closure condenses the construction schedule while allowing us to continue operating longer trains to promote physical distancing between passengers. McKernan/Belgravia also sees the lowest passenger boardings of all 18 LRT stations,” said Craig McKeown, Director of LRT Operations and Maintenance.

Starting May 4, after 9 a.m. daily, Capital/Metro Line trains will run every 15 minutes, with Metro Line trains only running between Health Sciences and NAIT until McKernan/Belgravia re-opens.

May 16-18: Partial LRT closure between Clareview and Churchill
As part of the work at Stadium Station, on the May long weekend (May 16-18), LRT service will be suspended between Clareview and Churchill. Buses will replace LRT between these stations. LRT will continue to run between Century Park and NAIT every 15 minutes. Platform tile replacement will also begin at Coliseum during the May long weekend.

Health Sciences Station pedestrian crossing upgrades
During three weekends in May (9-10, 16-17 and 23-24), Capital Line trains will only run every 15 minutes, as crews will be working on upgrades to the pedestrian crossing at the north entrance of Health Sciences station. On May 9-10 and 23-24, Metro Line trains will only run between NAIT and Grandin stations. This crossing, as well as the north entrance to Health Sciences station, will also be closed from June 19-29.

via Email news release

Came across this unlisted YouTube video from the city. (They link to it from the South LRT extension page on the city’s website). It shows Ellerslie Road station as an elevated station, I think for the first time! Also lots of finer details on the rest of the extension to Desrochers as well.

So close... it seems like this line should have a priority connection to EIA -- imagine the immediate boost in ridership! A huge benefit for EIA (new businesses and manufacturing/warehousing facilities) and for central Edmonton (direct connection to business district and downtown hotels). I know that my connection to Edmonton vis-a-vis inbound flights would enable me to leisurely hop aboard LRT after luggage recovery and debark at the new hotel planned for the former BOM site; going the other way I could more accurately predict my departure time from hotel to catch the flight out. This connection seems more logical than any other planned for the City. National/International Sports fans -- YES!, Tourists -- YES! Out-of-towner Business persons -- YES! The line could easily be subsurface connecting directly to EIA main terminal. Talk about no-brainers. The EIA station could be rife with eateries, pubs and boutiques.

Back