News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Capital Line LRT

Was in Edmonton last weekend and was heading up from Century Park and decided to stop at Southgate on the way, when I got back to the station the wait for the next train was 20 minutes! Is there a plan to improve these frequencies? Because 20 minutes for a weekend on rapid transit is PRETTY bad.

Also maybe when Edmonton expands the LRT we could consider some cars (also by Bombardier) similar to what are run in Frankfurt on the U-Bahn (the system Edmonton and Calgary are derivative of), they are similar to two of the current LRT cars paired into one unit:

20120228_U5-50_Kalbach.jpg

@Reecemartin I think they were doing signal testing last weekend.
Even so, the Metro line issues have managed to reduce frequencies since they are interlined. If the signaling issues are ever resolved, frequencies should increase significantly.

Also maybe when Edmonton expands the LRT we could consider some cars (also by Bombardier) similar to what are run in Frankfurt on the U-Bahn (the system Edmonton and Calgary are derivative of), they are similar to two of the current LRT cars paired into one unit:

20120228_U5-50_Kalbach.jpg
Ooo those are cool. My understanding is that the issue with those would be the maintenance facilities. You would need pits/lifts for 50m units. There would also be issues with the older garages which aren't designed for multiples of 2, but that might have already been addressed with the switch to 4 car trains - though I understand they complicate logistics as it is (in Calgary). Edmonton has regularly run longer trains - up to 5 car - 125 m ones, in which case you would still need to retain 25m units to run full length. The 50 m units work in Germany because their standard is 100m trains, due to the length on blocks they are allowed to run on in city centres. Calgary will be capable of running 25m units in the future when the red line is put underground in the core.

Last edited:
Ooo those are cool. My understanding is that the issue with those would be the maintenance facilities. You would need pits/lifts for 50m units. There would also be issues with the older garages which aren't designed for multiples of 2, but that might have already been addressed with the switch to 4 car trains - though I understand they complicate logistics as it is (in Calgary). Edmonton has regularly run longer trains - up to 5 car - 125 m ones, in which case you would still need to retain 25m units to run full length. The 50 m units work in Germany because their standard is 100m trains, due to the length on blocks they are allowed to run on in city centres. Calgary will be capable of running 25m units in the future when the red line is put underground in the core.

Well, there will be a new garage built at some time at which point new style equipment could be adopted. Even in Frankfurt, it appears these cars are frequently paired with a one car consist of the same model. Nonetheless, I think looking at what is being used on the Frankfurt U-Bahn which is more mature than the systems in Alberta is very wise, and we are lucky to have the subway which reduces our need for single car units.

As an aside, Bombardier did bid on Calgary's LRV order with the above family of vehicles, but they dropped out or were dropped from the final four evaluated. In the end Siemens' offer ($3.2 million each) was lower than projected and lower than the other bidders (at between $3.7 million and $4.7 million each), Siemans also developed the family especially for Calgary's spec. http://www.calgaryherald.com/Calgary+Transit+cars+200M/8898525/story.html

As an aside, Bombardier did bid on Calgary's LRV order with the above family of vehicles, but they dropped out or were dropped from the final four evaluated. In the end Siemens' offer ($3.2 million each) was lower than projected and lower than the other bidders (at between $3.7 million and $4.7 million each), Siemans also developed the family especially for Calgary's spec. http://www.calgaryherald.com/Calgary+Transit+cars+200M/8898525/story.html

Have heard bad things about the quality of the S200's though,

Also weird they didn't mention BBD "FAIR BIDDING: Calgary Transit also considered bids from Hyundai Rotem (South Korea), Kinki Sharyo (Japan) and CAF (Spain), but Davies said Siemens offered the best design, price and mechanical specification."

Shoulda posted this earlier, I'm a little behind...

Capital Line South LRT Extension public meetings
September 18, 2018

The Capital Line South LRT Extension will play a key role in improving mobility and access to existing and new neighbourhoods in the south and southwest areas of the city.

Residents are invited to learn more about the City’s grade separation recommendations (tracks above, below or at street-level) and initial results of the summer online survey for the project. Share feedback on landscaping and the ‘look and feel’ around the recommended Twin Brooks Station and Operations Maintenance Facility. Administration’s final recommendations will be taken to City Council for approval as part of a non-statutory public hearing on November 6, 2018.

Date: Tuesday, September 18
Time: 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. (drop-in)

Date: Thursday, September 20
Time: 5 - 8:30 p.m. (drop-in)

The project will extend the Capital Line LRT from the current Century Park Station to Ellerslie Road. It will connect to the Heritage Valley Park and Ride located at the northwest corner of Ellerslie Road and 127 Street. No timeline or funding have been confirmed for the construction of this extension.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/capitalsw

Media contact:
Beth Padfield
Communications Advisor
LRT Delivery
780-496-5010

Future Station
A unique structure beneath the city’s streets.
October 1, 2018
Detours3(1).jpg

PHOTOGRAPH KRISTY TRINIER

Riders of the LRT, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, likely know the stops that run through downtown Edmonton by heart. But as the trains curl northeast past Churchill Station, on their way to Stadium, they briefly pass through an area that’s notably wider than the rest of the tunnel. It’s an unassuming room that, in fact, was supposed to be a station in its own right, half-built in the 1970s and then left unfinished—as a “ghost” station—ever since. It’s unofficially known as “Future Station,” and it presents an enticing vision of ambition and engineering that never quite came to pass.

https://www.avenueedmonton.com/City-Life/Detours/Future-Station/

I believe the station is located about here:
upload_2018-10-12_13-22-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-12_13-22-50.png
    upload_2018-10-12_13-22-50.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 591
Last edited:
Yeah I knew something about this, too.

I wonder if it is possible that they could covert it to a real station in the future...

@Platinum107 I'm absolutely sure it is and would fully support it. Could be a big driver to getting some more activity in that area, and make more vacant lots "disappeared." That's on top of being right under some major employment centres, on the doorstep of the Chinatown, the RAM...

Back