News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Capital Line LRT

Hopefully Edmonton can plan ahead.

Edmonton already has the plan -- hopefully they can build ahead. This point in the conclusion of the report gives me hope:
  • Continue discussions with other orders of government on their interest in a scope change to extend to the Health Campus or Heritage Valley Town Centre
Since the money for this project supposedly is the leftovers from the last round of funding (i.e. Valley West, Metro Blatchford), it seems like a no brainer to top-up some stimulus dollars to get the line past Ellerslie if the station is going to be elevated anyway.

I also realized that if this gets going next year as planned, all three lines (Capital / Metro / Valley) will have extensions being actively worked on, in addition to the Terwillegar BRT and possibly the gondola (I know it's private but still). Edmonton is building out its transit infrastructure in a big way, and the crazy thing is we're only barely keeping pace with other Canadian cities even with all this work.

I also realized that if this gets going next year as planned, all three lines (Capital / Metro / Valley) will have extensions being actively worked on, in addition to the Terwillegar BRT and possibly the gondola (I know it's private but still). Edmonton is building out its transit infrastructure in a big way, and the crazy thing is we're only barely keeping pace with other Canadian cities even with all this work.
I know they're not infrastructure in the same way that a train line is, but I'm also super excited for the Arc card system and the regional transit service. These two will drastically improve ease of use and regional integration.

I know they're not infrastructure in the same way that a train line is, but I'm also super excited for the Arc card system and the regional transit service. These two will drastically improve ease of use and regional integration.
I didn't mention this, but the LRV fleet renewal programme is another big ticket item. Edmonton mopes about our heritage streetcar and how limited it is, but to the Germans who are running U5s (and soon to be U6s), our vehicles ARE heritage. ETS actually helped restore a prototype unit that is now on display in Hannover!

80km/h max speed on the current trains make airport service not feasible. You don't want to be riding in the LRT while vehicles whizz by on the QE2.

Theres a lot of convenience besides speed as others have mentioned, but also if you are taking one of the new budget airlines, you probably don't want to spend as much as you did on your ticket to get to the city center . . .

Having just flown back from a week working in Vancouver...the direct train from the airport is so helpful. I think for visitors speed CAN be important, but ease of use and Wayfinding are key. Going to a new city can be stressful and confusing. A 45min train ride vs 30min uber or rental car is worth it for the cost savings and sense of assurance in where you're going.

LRT Network Plan advances, new funding approved for extension of Capital Line​

June 23, 2021

City Council has approved $333 million of municipal funding for the Capital Line South LRT Extension from Century Park to the Heritage Valley Park & Ride.

“With this commitment we are one big step closer to the City’s vision to expand LRT service to all sectors of the city by 2040,” said Adam Laughlin, Deputy City Manager of Integrated Infrastructure Services. “This municipal contribution will allow us to start preparing the project in anticipation of Federal funding confirmation.”

The City of Edmonton has received $1.47 billion in previous funding commitments from both the federal and provincial governments for LRT expansion. The Capital Line funding application is currently with the federal government for review and submission to the federal Treasury Board by the fall of this year.

Administration also delivered an LRT Network update to City Council that outlined the work being completed across the Valley Line LRT and Metro Northwest.

“We are thrilled that work has begun on the next major pieces of the LRT Network in the Valley Line West and Metro Northwest Phase 1,” said Laughlin. “Projects of this size bring a massive economic boost to the province and to our city and will be invaluable to moving people efficiently as our city continues to grow.”

Construction on the Metro Line extension from NAIT into Blatchford is continuing with track being installed, stations being constructed and landscaping work happening to accommodate the line. Early work on the Valley Line West is underway and includes preparing project plans and designs, procuring major construction contracts and conducting geotechnical investigations along the alignment. Construction activities are set to ramp up in early 2022 and will eventually connect to the operational Valley Line Southeast.

“The Valley Line Southeast will be a significant addition to our current LRT Network. TransEd has stated that they will be completing the project by the end of this year, and we are holding them to it,” said Laughlin. “TransEd has a lot of work to do, and we want to help them get there so we can enjoy the high-quality and safe system that Edmontonians were promised.”

The Valley Line Southeast will run 13 km from Downtown to Mill Woods and will operate as Edmonton’s first low-floor “urban-style” LRT. TransEd began construction on the Valley Line Southeast in spring 2016.

“This is a big day for LRT in Edmonton,” said Laughlin. “We have three major projects underway and one about to get underway—all of them getting us closer to the vision for LRT and mobility laid out in our City Plan.”​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/BuildingLRT

Media contact:
Katie Stewart
Acting Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-496-4584​

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 8.44.11 AM.png

Back