News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Edmonton

You want to starve a lane of vehicle traffic so a bus can move fast. I am wondering what problem will that ever solve. It looks more like a ruse to remove vehicles from Whyte Ave. and make it your 'pedestrian only' paradise.

You want to starve a lane of vehicle traffic so a bus can move fast. I am wondering what problem will that ever solve. It looks more like a ruse to remove vehicles from Whyte Ave. and make it your 'pedestrian only' paradise.
It’ll make transit users feel less like second class citizens! I see that as a problem.

It's just an unfortunate reality there is no nearby reliever avenue that can assist. Put LRT underground from somewhere in the South Campus to Health Sciences station regions over to Bonnie Doon. Keeps all users happy and all it costs you is a pile of money.

Let me get this straight: Giving transit users a dedicated lane does not solve any problems? How about EVERY SINGLE TRAFFIC STUDY in the world, and empirical evidence, saying that when you have a good, functional and useful transit corridor the experience tends to improve for everyone (drivers, transit users and pedestrians)?

It is not even a matter of opinion, these are facts, proven over and over again, all across the world, in the most different scenarios.

It is so funny when people here come with the "war on cars" argument. We dedicate about half of the total land area of the city to roads, for cars, but the minute we talk about giving someone else a little nab of dedicated space, it is an absolute outrage.

You want to starve a bus of 20-50 people from moving efficiently so that a few cars with 1 person in them each can get through a Main Street 40 seconds faster?

How much time do drivers lose to cars that parallel park, cars waiting for pedestrians, waiting for left turns, while crossing four or five busy streets? What about the extra time looking for a parking spot, plus the deadline of returning to your vehicle?

I'm really excited for all the BRT plans in the works right now, including the one on Whyte. Getting these major corridors on dedicated lanes will be such a boon, and really support reliable public transit.

The number of times my coworker at my last job was late to work, despite coming directly from West ed to Downtown, because her bus got snagged up in traffic, it was ridiculous. That route will be solved by the West LRT of course, but the point still stands.
We can't expect people to rely on transit, if we don't provide transit that is reliable.

How much time do drivers lose to cars that parallel park, cars waiting for pedestrians, waiting for left turns, while crossing four or five busy streets? What about the extra time looking for a parking spot, plus the deadline of returning to your vehicle?
Why sacrifice the time, convenience, and safety of everyone without a vehicle just so that car drivers can have the fastest commute humanly possible? I'm not saying their commute needs to be sacrificed for this, but I don't think it's fair for everyone who does not want to, or cannot drive if we avoid implementing proper rapid transit and safer/more usable pedestrian infrastructure just so that we can keep roads as open for cars as possible. And don't forget: The more people who use transit, the less people that need to drive, thus helping to reduce traffic that you would need to contend with. I mean yeah, there's a lot of things that drivers need to contend with, but that is a very reasonable thing to expect when driving in a place as urban and developed as the Whyte Ave corridor. This isn't Argyll Trail after all.

Itom987, are you friends with Lincoln Ho, because that is basically what he is supporting?
Let's not forget the original rapid transit plan had an LRT line connecting Whyte to Sherwood Park and the U of A, an ideal convenience.

Back