• I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Revillon Building getting some work done. I really hope they sandblast the paint off the brick.

Reference ID: Job No 365622131-002
Description: Exterior Alteration, Interior Alteration, Demolition
Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lots 169-171
Applicant: DIALOG, CAROLYN KEELEY
Create Date: 6/22/2020 11:48:26 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Description: To construct exterior and interior alterations to a multi use building and Boardwalk building level 2, level 3 and level 4, Change of use from Educational service to Profession, Financial and Office support service, Revillon Building Level 1, south new tenant, Change of use from Profession, Financial and Office support service to Public Libraries and Culture Exhibits.
Permit date: August 20, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class A
Address: 10320 - 102 AVENUE NW
Zoning: HA

Description: To construct exterior and interior alterations to a multi use building and Boardwalk building level 2, level 3 and level 4, Change of use from Educational service to Profession, Financial and Office support service, Revillon Building Level 1, south new tenant, Change of use from Profession, Financial and Office support service to Public Libraries and Culture Exhibits.
Permit date: August 20, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class A
Address: 10320 - 102 AVENUE NW
Zoning: HA

Indeed (new atrium!):

bw.png

I think the current atrium facade is waaaay more visually interesting than the uninspired glass box in this render. 😕

There might be more to look at with the existing atrium, but to me, I think the KISS (keep it simple silly) principle applies here. I am not a fan of the existing stucco'ed fake 'Greek' column things or 90s window treatments.

There might be more to look at with the existing atrium, but to me, I think the KISS (keep it simple silly) principle applies here. I am not a fan of the existing stucco'ed fake 'Greek' column things or 90s window treatments.
Yeah, that's my thought on it too. I'm all for anything other than plain glass boxes, but the cheap Post-Modern look clashes way too much with the plain utilitarian look of the two existing buildings. I do appreciate them adding two new entrances onto 102nd as well.

I really hope they strip that awful paint of the Revillon Building, it's been peeling for ages now. Here's how nice it could look...
Revillon Building.jpg

Last edited:

i think the current iteration is certainly more 'fun' in the post-modernist sense but unfortunately a bit dilapidated. tbh i think it'd be better to just clean up and renovate the existing as this reminds me of a stubby version of that development slated for the blue plate block (i think?) as well as other developments in other cities. in other words, it's a trendier design and there's nothing wrong with it. i wouldn't be upset if it were built as shown but i caution against removing "outdated" architecture for simply that reason. it's the same rationale the modernists had with ornate victorian and edwardian era architecture. in terms of pomo, the current atrium isn't really offensive and from what i remember (it's been a while), the interior is pretty decent (though could use some sprucing up i suppose).

fair enough. post-modernist architecture is niche and the classical columns are kind of goofy. there's definitely more 'elegant' examples of that genre, so i'm not totally against the new atrium either. it's very clean and slick. just gotta... stick to it and not water it down lol.

Back