Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I will respectfully disagree with you for it will be quiet from 4pm onward, little weekend traffic and while the intent is to 'open it up to the community', I just don't see it being a significant enough attraction. HUB mall struggles, MacEwan has thoughts to 'open it up' and it did not really proceed after further review.

I offered cautionary tales.

Having sat down with Tim, reviewed the proforma and looked at initial ideas for just how much retail was being considered I suggested they spend additional time reviewing their assumptions and that out of the 9-1 hours this would need to be a very significant draw to work. Even with 250-300 units abutting them, that is nowhere near enough to provide base support for potential tenants and looking at the demographics of the adjacent neighbourhood I cannot see much support from there either.

But you do you.

I do not if there are any KPIs that will tie in the funding for this, but I do agree with @IanO. If I were an investor and were looking to put money in it (and this is easily a $30M+ project), I would be concerned with excess retail and lack of traffic outside of class hours at NAIT, as the assumptions of it working at capacity from early on can be misleading, considering the several uncontrollable factors.

There is a new degree of conservativeness in the Private Equity and lending communities, especially for real-estate related deals, due to the changes brought by Covid (see the extremely high vacancy rates in cities like Calgary, for example).

Most lots in front of those buildings are sold.
20220406_135348.jpg

20220406_135244.jpg

20220406_135255_HDR.jpg

20220406_135317_HDR.jpg

20220406_135113_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20220406_135221.jpg
    20220406_135221.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 53
Must be a farmer who designed whatever this is. You would need just a slightest bit of imagination to disguise those as let say bee hive or anything that fits a colorful playground next to it.. no wonder the library looks similar;)
20220406_135032_HDR.jpg

20220406_134918_HDR.jpg

It may be -- NAIT is developing its own system and so it will be one or the other -- Blatchford or NAIT. The Hangar 11 when the NAIT campus is built out in the future will end up nearly dead centre in the new campus.
Question though about that. Once this is completed and in the centre of the campus, will the big ugly parking lot between the hanger and the current NAIT buildings be lessened or completely removed?

i love the traction these townhomes seem to e getting, I hope it spreads city-wide. Rowhousing like this, well-built with proper soundproofing between units is ideal for the modern, smaller family. not everyone needs a big yard, but a bit of private green space is nice, and these allow for that without wasting space on a useless sideyard the way a modern SFH (and worst of all, the zero-lot-line houses that developers love so much for front garages) does. I hope Blatchford can act as a bit of trendsetter, making these be seen as not just 'good enough' if you can't afford bigger, but something to aspire towards owning, other housing types being less desirable.

i love the traction these townhomes seem to e getting, I hope it spreads city-wide. Rowhousing like this, well-built with proper soundproofing between units is ideal for the modern, smaller family. not everyone needs a big yard, but a bit of private green space is nice, and these allow for that without wasting space on a useless sideyard the way a modern SFH (and worst of all, the zero-lot-line houses that developers love so much for front garages) does. I hope Blatchford can act as a bit of trendsetter, making these be seen as not just 'good enough' if you can't afford bigger, but something to aspire towards owning, other housing types being less desirable.
I hope so too. This is just my personal preference, but walking around in Sherwood Park and north Edmonton has really cemented my distaste for this style of house.

1649389708406.png

Desirability for me goes:
Nice detached infill > nice row houses >> all the rest

Attachments

• 1649389865519.png
    1649389865519.png
    787.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I hope so too. This is just my personal preference, but walking around in Sherwood Park and north Edmonton has really cemented my distaste for this style of house.

View attachment 391116

I swear, half of Edmonton is these 4 houses right here 😂

View attachment 391116

I hate those houses too, but I've been thinking lately.
Should we start allowing small commercial uses in residential areas (as the zoning renewal may allow) then those sorts of front-loading houses are perfect for conversion into small Shop fronts.
Just a thought ~

Back