Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I do think some of the architecture is pretty decent in Blatchford but I can't help think that a lot of the townhomes are a budget version of what the design guidelines promise. This is completely my opinion but it really feels like it's just missing a bit of extra detail to really feel like quality developments. I do wonder if part of it is limits by the zoning to do what is shown below. But even if you chopped off the top floor of the example from the design guidelines below, they still seem to me like they're just that one step above.

This:

1624572776813.png
vs

1624572909817.png

I agree with the example provided above - the design guideline is more inspired that the counterpart townhome. I do like the front patio features of the Ocheller townhomes, which will be connected to walk-out basement suites. I think this will allow for a similar function to the example above. And while the materials will be quite different, I'm a fan of the cedar wood exterior of these buildings - I think it looks striking.

Storm pond in Blatchford looking great! It's really too bad they didn't follow through on making it a usable lake, though...

Blatchford Park Pano by Kurayba, on Flickr
I hope they add more native vegetation like in the renderings. It's looking great so far though, at least the local residents have a nice big green space to enjoy.

It looks like there was originally going to be a third body of water in Blatchford, aside from the two storm ponds. This one was going to be the recreational lake. There was pushback in council because some were afraid it would encourage people to drive to Blatchford (harming its environmental image). I'm not sure if that's why it was cancelled, but the plan was scrapped in 2015 along with a raft of other pillars of the original Blatchford vision.

Quick note: The Journal article is a bit inaccurate. Blatchford *does* have geothermal heating and cooling. What it doesn't have, but was originally going to boast, is geothermal *energy*. You can learn a bit more in this section of the Wikipedia article I wrote a while back.
download (15).jpeg
blatchford-storm-water-pond.jpg

Looks like a new developer just launched their website for their units on the east side of Littlewood park. NX Build
I'm not blown away by the exterior but the floor plans seem sensible and they're able to get 15 units per lot so hopefully the prices are more affordable than what is currently on offer.
It'll be interesting to see how they do; their Facebook page gives the impression that this is a new company, and these homes are their first project (although the company's founders are apparently experienced builders).

This announcement does not include any new info about Mutti's planned 4-6 storey mixed-use building. On a separate note however, plots P and Q (at the centre of phase one's southern edge) are now marked as pending on the property sales map.

Last edited:

Back