News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

doesn't she downplay almost anything and everything she says shortly after she says it?

why would this one be any different?
For me, I haven't been following the politics in Alberta until recently, so I'm not completely familiar with everything she has said and done.

For me, I haven't been following the politics in Alberta until recently, so I'm not completely familiar with everything she has said and done.
To summarize Smith's decades long career in politics (of which her talk radio time was really just an extension of): say or do stupid things, walk them back or retract. Repeat.

Lagrange is Health Minister.

Here's full list.

Screenshot_20230609-120301_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230609-120325_Samsung Internet.jpg

^Does that mean Red Deer gets a new hospital before we do?
LaGrange is on the board of directors for Alberta pro life. Should be interesting.

^Does that mean Red Deer gets a new hospital before we do?
LaGrange is on the board of directors for Alberta pro life. Should be interesting.
i wouldn’t bet against it… :(

the worst part of course is that red deer also drastically needs a new hospital and this shouldn’t be an either/or decision.

my guess is that red deer’s will simply get approvals and funding on a priority basis and edmonton will get lots of announcements but they will be piecemeal and actual design and construction will get slow played forever.

In a similar vein, i understand the rfp process for new schools and renovations/upgrades will allow for some very juicy political announcements but the process and implementation odds looking to be quite ugly.

The nicest thing I can say is they probably did reasonably well with cabinet choices given what they had to work with.

Their two most competent ministers did not run again and it is now largely rural dominated.

Lagrange - cringe. I suppose they had to give her something. In UCPland, getting health or environment is not meant to be a reward.

i wouldn’t bet against it… :(

the worst part of course is that red deer also drastically needs a new hospital and this shouldn’t be an either/or decision.

my guess is that red deer’s will simply get approvals and funding on a priority basis and edmonton will get lots of announcements but they will be piecemeal and actual design and construction will get slow played forever.

In a similar vein, i understand the rfp process for new schools and renovations/upgrades will allow for some very juicy political announcements but the process and implementation odds looking to be quite ugly.
Its always Edmonton’s turn next time.

Interestingly Red Deer voted the "right" way most of the time, but what has that got them? Certainly not a new hospital yet, so who knows.

I feel these things can be put off for a while, but eventually pressing need overwhelms whatever politics is involved, or at least that's what I like to tell myself.

So after about 40 years or so, I would say we are at the point where it can't be put off much longer. I do agree that Red Deer's will probably be faster and easier to build so I suppose that is a factor too.

How much further can the province kick the can down the road with its growing infrastructure deficit?

as long as we pi$$ away oil revenues on operating expenses; refuse to collect sufficient income tax revenues; and refuse to implement a harmonized sales tax…
This is exactly why we have had a revolving door of Premiers since the early 2000's. Every time oil prices fall, and they are cyclical, the budget falls apart and people get unhappy.

Smith was fortunate in her timing so far, to get re-elected, but then so were Stelmach and Redford until things turned on them economically a few years later.

You would think even our self interested politicians would get that it is in their long term interest to fix this, but they can't seem to see past the short term.

Back