News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

If Smith says she wants to bridge the gap between urban and rural, she'd find a way to include Edmonton.
I'm not so sure about that. She also said she wanted people to pay to see a doctor. She says a lot of things and then changes course.

^ And I guess this is how Smith is going to do it and that way she can include some more ucp viewpoints into the mix (not to mention the payroll) because clearly that's what Edmontonians want and need. 🙄

But maybe she deserves some credit here for at least including Edmonton and we'll see how this goes?

Not so sure this really makes much logical sense. Who better to advise than people who couldn't connect with or understand their community well enough to win? Really?

Well, because Edmonton wasn’t really a Battleground in Alberta Election 🗳 2023 like Calgary was mainly the focus for both the UCP & NDP.

In plus with Alberta NDP winning all City of Edmonton provincial ridings yesterday, there will be 0 UCP cabinet minister from this city .

Alberta Premier elect Danielle Smith will likely have to pick either Dale Nally MLA- Morinville-St. Albert , Nate Glubish MLA -Strathcona-Sherwood Park, Searle Turton -MLA Spruce Grove-Stony Plain or Jackie Armstrong-Homeniuk MLA - Fort Saskatchewan-Vegreville, which all 4 of them won re election yesterday to represent city of Edmonton in the UCP government for next 4 years. As those 4 UCP MLA’s ridings are the closest to Edmonton.
Hopefully she will pick some of these and they can help deal with some things because of proximity.

However, these are ridings with smaller communities and much more rural, so I'm not sure they will want to or be able to pick up dealing with complex major city urban issues.

I wonder if she’ll be making Pooh coo

This quote, to me, sums up Smith's thinking on Edmonton (maybe even a bit of Calgary):

"We've got a lot of support that we need to get to the City of Edmonton in dealing with their public disorder and mental health and addictions crisis." (emphasis added)

Yes there's a lot to do, but the city is also so much more than that.
You are correct.....it's HER (All of Alberta MINUS YEG) Vs. YEG. This statement clearly shows that she wants nothing to do with us. If SHE was speaking of YYC - than it would have read, "........City of Calgary in dealing with ALL (OUR) public disorder.......we will construct 1000's upon 1000's of new beds/spaces - so that those undesirables don't make OUR Downtown look ugly. In fact, we will ship them all to DT YEG instead of YYC."

This quote, to me, sums up Smith's thinking on Edmonton (maybe even a bit of Calgary):

"We've got a lot of support that we need to get to the City of Edmonton in dealing with their public disorder and mental health and addictions crisis." (emphasis added)

Yes there's a lot to do, but the city is also so much more than that.
I was going to make the same comment but I thought I was being too sensitive Instead of forming a council of failed Edmonton UCP candidates forming some sort of echo chamber why not consult Edmonton city council?

I was going to make the same comment but I thought I was being too sensitive Instead of forming a council of failed Edmonton UCP candidates forming some sort of echo chamber why not consult Edmonton city council?
But then you'd have to consult EVERY council...

Let us not forget the UCP will have an even smaller majority of 4 because 1 MLA will be speaker while the transphobe will be an independent.

Who will Smith listen to, the Calgary UCP members (some are moderates) or the Take Back Alberta candidates?

Let us not forget the UCP will have an even smaller majority of 4 because 1 MLA will be speaker while the transphobe will be an independent.
The Transphobe will be welcomed back in next spring. I do not see any UCP breaking ranks. And the likelihood of anything good coming to YEG is small. Smith will make Edmonton Pay for not voting for her.

There is a huge difference between getting some seats in a city and shutout

The Transphobe will be welcomed back in next spring. I do not see any UCP breaking ranks. And the likelihood of anything good coming to YEG is small. Smith will make Edmonton Pay for not voting for her.
I also suspect that will eventually happen when they think no one is paying attention. I hope Smith will not be as petty and vindictive as the previous Premier and his gang.

There is a huge difference between getting some seats in a city and shutout
in this situation i'm not sure how huge a difference it is...

they got some seats in calgary because they managed to stem a complete collapse in their base but there was still a massive exit from their previous support levels.

they were shutout in edmonton because they failed to garner enough support to attract any exit from their opposition's support levels.

in both cities i would posit that their policies and performance are simply not attractive (and attractive is more than just being nominally acceptable) to urban voters.

Back