News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Alberta Politics

"LENDING" his vote. LOL. Now that is a ringing endorsement for Notley. The implication being he can ask for his vote back if he is not satisfied somehow? I am sure he is circling above like a vulture, ready to be the first to pick at the carcass should the NDP lose this election and Rachel's leadership come into question.

"LENDING" his vote. LOL. Now that is a ringing endorsement for Notley. The implication being he can ask for his vote back if he is not satisfied somehow? I am sure he is circling above like a vulture, ready to be the first to pick at the carcass should the NDP lose this election and Rachel's leadership come into question.
One of the problems for non conservative parties in Alberta is old habits die very hard. So, I actually think the word lending makes good sense here, particularly for those that feel they may still be conservative, but feel the current UCP is neither very conservative nor very good.

Voting for a non conservative party once once not mean a permanent commitment, ideological change for someone like that. After all, a vote is never really a permanent endorsement - in 4 years we get to re-evaluate and make a decision again. I think it is good that some politicians do not take support for granted.

Sooo…

I will be one of the traditional very long time PC’s who will be somewhat sadly voting NDP in this election. Over the last several months I have shared my concerns regarding Danielle Smith and the UCP and Take Back Alberta.

I can believe Danielle or I can believe hundreds of doctors.

I can believe Danielle or I can believe the ethics commissioner.

I can believe Danielle when she says something today or I can believe what she said yesterday or last week or last month or last year on a whole host of topics.

I can believe a party that continues to nominate a string of candidates from Allan Hunsperger to Jennifer Johnson is just inept in vetting them or I can believe those views are condoned if not welcome in the party. Either way it is not a party that deserves to hold office.

Unfortunately I don’t believe Danielle and Take Back Alberta are prepared to govern based on representing all Albertans whether they supported them or not and I do believe they will continue to roll out their policies whether those were part of their election platform or not.

I don’t believe Danielle and Take Back Alberta will give up their scorched earth policies when it comes to dealing with anyone who doesn’t agree with them or blaming everything that goes wrong on those who don’t agree with them.

Regardless of our individual decisions by 8:00 pm on Monday and regardless of the outcome on Monday, we will all have a lot of work to do on a lot of fronts for the next four years.

But regardless of the outcome we will all still be neighbours and friends who for the most part want the same things for ourselves, our families, our government and our government institutions from health care to the economy to education to safety to justice to ethics and principles, all of which are inexorably interconnected.

Good luck Alberta.

If in fact the UCP win, they will most certainly do so with fewer seats in the province and fewer seats in Calgary and possibly even less in and around Edmonton.

I'm very concerned about what that means for cabinet - a bigger presence of rural UCP MLAs.

This might be one of the scariest things I’ve read in a newspaper for a long time…

“Eventually, Byfield learned of a group called Take Back Alberta, whose leader was signing up thousands of members to vote against Kenney at the April 2022 leadership review in Red Deer.”

““I thought that that was a sign from God,” Byfield said. “I (didn’t) know David personally, but I knew what was happening — because it was so astonishing — must be God-driven.””

“”My vision is to bring us back to the past, I pray, literally pray, for righteous governance in this province.””

““That might scare some people,” he acknowledged, before explaining how, in his view, Alberta experienced some of its best years under Ernest Manning, the preacher who governed the province from 1943 to 1968. “You don’t get elected seven times by pushing your morals on others,” he said.”

“He added Smith has “fantastic potential,” but called her a “spiritual newbie.””

“”If she were to start to grow spiritually, wow, she would be an amazing, amazing premier, and might very well rival Ernest Manning.””

That might scare some people??? It should scare everyone.

Back