News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Alberta Politics

UCP appears to be leading a potential Olympic bid for Calgary - will be a great way to secure votes for next election. Mayor Gondek wasn't even aware when asked about it today but in announcing $17.5 million in funding for Calgary sport facilities, provincial minister spoke about Olympic bid.

When I read Alberta bid I thought maybe that was including Edmonton, but doesn't appear to be.

Last edited:
I highly doubt an Olympics bid for Calgary would go ahead without a new NHL arena replacing the current Saddledome.
Although I'm almost certain that the United Calgary Party will unload truckloads of our taxpayers' money to build a new NHL arena in Calgary.

Last edited:
Whistlers bid will get more traction than one in Calgary. The BC bid is being lead by FN. Also Calgary would need to do a major rebuild of all facilities. The Jump tower would have to be moved to a new location. The OVAL is well past its prime and may not meet new standards. The Bobsled track is also in need of a major redesign to meet new Olympic standards.

Here are round one results. Lowest person drops off and second place votes from Aheer get distributed. Winner must eventually get 50% + 1.

Screenshot_20221006-202444_Samsung Internet.jpg

When Brian Jean drops off, his voters next choice votes may put Smith over the top.
Screenshot_20221006-205258_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221006-205916_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looking really good for Smith. She just needs small percentage of Brian Jean's votes.

Back