News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Alberta Politics

Yah, I think a lot of them will be pruned when it comes time to cough up more installments of the $150,000 entrance fee, that's twice the federal Liberal leadership entrance fee in 2013 for context of just how crazy much it is.

I could pretty easily see Michelle Rempel winning now that she's been ok'd to join the race. She's a fairly recognizable name, certainly more recognizable than Jean was when he moved from being an MP to Wildrose leader. She has decent cred on Alberta sovereignty issues, with her being behind the Buffalo Declaration from a few years ago. She's also, to my understanding, much more moderate overall than Smith or Jean.
For all I care, the more people in that leadership race, the better. Let them tear themselves apart and help out the provincial NDP in next year's election.

I don't think the NDP will be coming back to power anytime soon. Their best hope was that Hinman's Wildrose Independence Party split the vote, but with all 3 of the top UCP contenders being very pro-firewall types I think it'll take most the wind out of the separatists' sails. Could be wrong though.

I don't think the NDP will be coming back to power anytime soon. Their best hope was that Hinman's Wildrose Independence Party split the vote, but with all 3 of the top UCP contenders being very pro-firewall types I think it'll take most the wind out of the separatists' sails. Could be wrong though.
The NDP still lead every single poll that has come out in the past years or so, their fundraising is unmatched, not only in AB, but for any provincial party outside of Ontario and the internal fight for the UCP is creating turmoil and unless someone miraculously emerges with a 60%+ of the votes in the leadership vote, they'll still be divided. At least that is my hope.
Not that I am the NDP's biggest fan, but right now, pretty much ANYTHING will be better than the United Calgary Party in power, especially for Edmonton.

Yah, I think a lot of them will be pruned when it comes time to cough up more installments of the $150,000 entrance fee, that's twice the federal Liberal leadership entrance fee in 2013 for context of just how crazy much it is.

I could pretty easily see Michelle Rempel winning now that she's been ok'd to join the race. She's a fairly recognizable name, certainly more recognizable than Jean was when he moved from being an MP to Wildrose leader. She has decent cred on Alberta sovereignty issues, with her being behind the Buffalo Declaration from a few years ago. She's also, to my understanding, much more moderate overall than Smith or Jean.
That is a very very low bar

The nut jobs could split the vote and a more moderate candidate could come up the middle then the party will fragment. That is another possible outcome.

Last edited:
The NDP still lead every single poll that has come out in the past years or so, their fundraising is unmatched, not only in AB, but for any provincial party outside of Ontario and the internal fight for the UCP is creating turmoil and unless someone miraculously emerges with a 60%+ of the votes in the leadership vote, they'll still be divided. At least that is my hope.
Not that I am the NDP's biggest fan, but right now, pretty much ANYTHING will be better than the United Calgary Party in power, especially for Edmonton.
Actually both the polls post-Kenney's resignation announcement show the UCP leading, albeit just barely (1, 2). They also both show what are, in my opinion, unrealistically high polling numbers for the WIP. For context back in 2019, Fildebrandt's Freedom Conservative Party would occasionally poll 3%, they ended up with 0.5% in the actual election.

None of this is meant to be a judgment on the merit of the NDP, just that I'm skeptical the current political situation is favourable enough for them to win.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ION
The $150K guarantees you buy your election win... GROSS but typical for that neo-con dumpsterfire!

Actually both the polls post-Kenney's resignation announcement show the UCP leading, albeit just barely (1, 2). They also both show what are, in my opinion, unrealistically high polling numbers for the WIP. For context back in 2019, Fildebrandt's Freedom Conservative Party would occasionally poll 3%, they ended up with 0.5% in the actual election.

None of this is meant to be a judgment on the merit of the NDP, just that I'm skeptical the current political situation is favourable enough for them to win.
To quote Family Guy, "Keep it up snackpack!" With enough foot in mouth moments the UCP will undo their own successes! Can't wait for the next round of hateful gaffes! They are always popcorn meme worthy, TBH!

Danielle Smith tried to bribe Edmontonians with provincial funding for the hockey arena. She will literally say and do anything to get elected.
pIvNk4g.jpg

Back