News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Alberta Politics

I honestly think that, by the time the leadership vote comes, Nenshi will run unopposed. Like it or not, realistically, he's the best shot at ejecting the UCP and garnering enough strength to have a solid majority that will be able to pass some more challenging things in the Legislature.
I would be stunned if Hoffman bows out - but the race is effectively over.

This does seem to set Nenshi up as the likely front runner, but I feel that some other candidates will continue.

I don't feel that all of Pancholi's supporters will automatically go to Nenshi. It could actually help out some other Edmonton candidates by reducing the number of candidates fighting for the same supporters.

It's ballooned to more than $600 million and construction is starting this year with completion of their Arts Barn and renovated Olympic Plaza completed by 2028-29. I think the funding is very secure.

Calgary apparently has billions in its rainy day fund and can afford major dollars for its downtown incentives, $1.2 billion for arena, $500 million for BMO and now $600+ million for this - they don't seem to be hurting for cash.
I want to know how they have managed to save hundreds of millions in their 'rainy day fund' whereas Edmonton apparently has next to nothing in comparison.

Yeah that's a wrap, it's probably going to be a Nenshi led NDP.

Only question is which riding he takes. Does he stick in Calgary or is he parachuted into Edmonton-Strathcona as an olive branch to the Edmonton wing of the NDP.

I don't want a Calgarian leading the NDP.
I don't like the idea too much, either, but realistically, it's still better than a Calgarian Premier from the UCP.
At the very least, Edmonton will likely get some representation in the cabinet, which is more than we'll have with another UCP government. And realistically, the NDP doesn't have any other candidate who has the strength to wipe the UCP from the government.

From a very pragmatic point of view, Calgarians might end up feeling the same about an Edmontonian leading the party and (potentially) becoming Premier, which could impact the ability to flip the votes needed in Calgary (considering that pretty much all of Edmonton is safe NDP ground).

Weird. I always considered Calgary to be part of Alberta.

I do gotta concede that having yet another Calgarian leading a major party in the province, and potentially becoming Premier, considering how Edmonton has been treated by the provincial government over the last few decades, to say the least, is not something I like, either.

In a sense, sometimes it feels like for most of the people we've had in power in this province (not so) recently Calgary not only is a part of Alberta, but Calgary IS Alberta. I guess the feeling you have towards Calgary is not reciprocated by most of our southern neighbours, especially the politicians.

Given Edmonton is about 1/3 of Alberta's population it would be reasonable to expect Premiers to come from here about 1/3 of the time, but nowhere near that in the last several decades.

And btw, I don't think Stelmach even counts, he is close but actually outside the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.

Interestingly, the provincial government which frequently rails about being ignored Federally and being run roughshod over often by a higher level of government, often does the same to Edmonton.

Back