Riverbank Landing | 50m | 15s | Boudreau Communities | Arc Studio

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

chrisvazquez7

Member Bio
Reaction score
A proposed development in St. Albert on the old Hole's Greenhouses site that is getting some fierce opposition from local NIMBYs.

The proposal is set to be built in three phases over seven to nine years, and includes plans for six buildings. Those include 25-and 28-storey residential towers with main floor commercial space; a 12-storey private seniors housing unit; new restaurant with conference space; two commercial and professional buildings, each three stories; and a 23,100-square-foot “village square.”

1109-boudreau-2.jpg

Last edited:
even though the Botanical project is finally getting finished I don't see this on moving to far forward anytime soon. But these ones I will definitely see from my place if they get built. I can see the low rise going ahead though. The high rise not so much.

I would like to wait for some more detailed plans before making my final opinion, but with what we have now, I think it's of an appropriate scale for a city the size of St. Albert. I would have liked to see this in or close to the city's downtown, though, as it would be even better suited there.

St. Albert has truly jumped the wall from a small-city suburb to a big-city one, which is a good thing in my opinion. But with more proposals like this one coming, The council and city residents have to make sure they don't let any crappy stuff slip through the cracks.

Boudreau Communities is still in the rezoning process and reviewing recommendations made by city staff to its application proposal for Riverbank Landing. The proposal includes six buildings, two 26-storey residential high rises, a 12-storey private seniors housing unit, a new restaurant inspired by Hole’s Greenhouses Old Red Barn, and two commercial and professional buildings. In total, the proposal will add 466 units. The estimated value of the development will be $500 million, and could take between seven to 10 years to complete. Changes to the Riverbank Landing design include moving one tower to the centre of the design and adding a new access point to the development's northeast corner. Further changes could still come after Boudreau Development staff review the city’s recommendations. Robert Brosseau, Boudreau vice-president of project development, said he expects the project to generate 259 direct and indirect jobs during construction, and invest more than $350 million to local trades and businesses. Once fully built, he said the project would generate $1.7 million in new revenue to the city.

The closest Transit Hub is walking distance. just on the west side of St Albert Centre. Maybe 15 min walk. along the river. Slightly closer than the Grandin Proposal is to 2 transit centre, One of which will be gone by the fall.

@Airboy I don't know if I would qualify that as "walking distance" especially in winter.

The Grandin development at least is close to employment and more amenities. This one is going to end up being too car-reliant IMO.

This is a great location for this project. None of these residents are going to be using transit so that's a moot point. It's essentially an extension of the Botanica project that's already there, and that project has sold well, including several $2.5 million penthouses. The people buying into this want park views, easy access to trails and easy access to shopping. This area has all of that.

None of these residents are going to be using transit so that's a moot point.

It's bad planning is what it is. Enforcing car dependency for hundreds of (or potentially over a thousand) new residents with only one way in or out of the area puts way too much pressure on the roadway network and is bad for traffic and sustainability goals.

The roads can easily handle the traffic. Every time there's a major development announced people worry about traffic, but the impact is never even noticeable. With many big projects over time, yes you'll notice more traffic on a Saturday afternoon, but a single project like this isn't going to make any difference unless you expect 500 cars to leave the parkade at the same time, in which case there's probably a meteor heading for earth and we have bigger problems to worry about.

Besides, this project includes a significant amount of retail on site where residents can have lunch or dinner, buy their groceries, and browse around without even getting into their car which is perfect for the mostly empty nesters who will be living here.

Back