Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Edmonton chooses Berlin artist for $1-million transit garage art project
Edmonton’s richest-ever public art commission is about the consideration and elevation of nowhere places — both in town and, quite literally, around the globe.

Called 53º20 — 40’N, the $1-million work by Berlin artist Thorsten Goldberg takes five uninhabited, mountainous locations from our exact latitude around the planet, digitally mapped and converted into faceted metal sculptures. These five moonscape-like topographies, more than 40 square metres each, will face northwest from up high on the new Kathleen Andrews Transit Garage, named for the city’s first female bus driver.

The multipurpose Edmonton Transit Service building reclaims the empty site of the old Canada Packers Plant, surrounded by Fort Road, Yellowhead Trail and the LRT line between Coliseum and Belvedere stations — finally some company for the iconic, 30-metre smokestack that has stood alone in a wasteland since the plant’s demolition in 1995.

uploaded-by-fish-griwkowsky-email-fgriwkowskyedmontonj.jpeg
Goldberg.png

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Attachments

• uploaded-by-fish-griwkowsky-email-fgriwkowskyedmontonj.jpeg
    uploaded-by-fish-griwkowsky-email-fgriwkowskyedmontonj.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,375
  • Goldberg.png
    Goldberg.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,536
PERMIT_DATE January 17, 2020
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 12403 - FORT ROAD NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD YELLOWHEAD CORRIDOR EAST
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct Interior Alteration to an existing transit garage to include charging infrastructure for electric buses - Kathleen Andrews Transit Garage - Electric Bus Infrastructure
BUILDING_TYPE Transportation Terminals (440)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
FLOOR_AREA 10,763.9
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 2,500,000

I noticed the entrance sign has been installed on Fort Road (not sure when) but it was recent. Looks good.
Incidentally, the stretch of Fort Road directly in front of the new transit garage is in terrible disrepair due to this winter's repetitive freeze/thaw cycles. Hopefully repaving won't cause transit delays, because the city is going to have to at least patch that stretch this summer.

(Still not as bad as 101 Avenue though - half my car fell into a pothole approaching 75 Street westbound) :mad:

My letter to the Edmonton Journal, back in September...
Life Imitates Art?
Our gleaming, brand new, $211 million Kathleen Andrews Transit Garage is finally nearing completion. The massive structure is touted by the city and the architects as "Celebrating the infrastructural, mechanical and technical, updates the idea of building as a landmark to the extra-urban conditions". If we understand this bold vision statement correctly, we would expect an architectural tour de force of technical expertise and quality in construction. What we appear to have been given, is a pock-marked, dented, undulating metal building skin, that looks anything like a "landmark or celebration". It is incredible that a just completed city building of this magnitude and cost could already be exhibiting such profound visual defects. Were the designers asleep at the wheel of the bus? Was quality sacrificed at the altar of expediency?

To add insult to injury (as in life imitating art), it is almost laughable that the undulations, warping and visual defects found on the building exterior are ironically mirrored and repeated in the $1 million digitally mapped and faceted metal sculptures set atop the building. One could almost say our new transit garage is trying to be a $211 million dollar sculpture, sadly located at 53º20 — 40’N.

Back