5.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.6K     0 

2022/23 Edmonton Oilers and news

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
A solid 53 minutes.

Good contributions and a few missed opportunities.

Right back in the thick of things.

I will put my jersey back on for games now.

GO OILERS GO

archited

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know -- I think the new "system" covers a lot of defensive lapses, which gives goal scorers more latitude to move. The next four games will be instructive, especially the three road trip games against the NHLs top teams.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think that it is now obvious that you are the jinx 'O -- please burn your oilers shirt.

I'd like to take credit for it, but it's beyond any jinx tonight.

The run of games and new coaching had to come to a (horrific) end and this was it.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't say it was all that horrific. 7-3 is a rough score, but to me a horrific end would be that Woodcroft's system doesn't work and we merely received a coaching bump, however what I saw tonight was a team who still played good 5 on 5 hockey. It was our 5th game in 7 days, we got off to a slow start as usual (this needs to be addressed soon) and instead of the great goaltending we've been getting as of late we got not so great goaltending.

First off, I don't blame Mike Smith, the 4 goals in the first period were 2 slot shots, a breakaway and a 2 on 1. That's not the goalies fault, that was a lousy defence making mistake after mistake, however Smith did not give us the save we needed to turn the tide, the Wild were able to capitalize on every single chance they were given, resulting in 4 goals on 7 shots. Mikko Koskinen came in relief, he also did not play very well for the same reasons.

However, despite allowing 3 quick goals and being outshot 5-1 at the time, Jay Woodcroft called a timeout to gather the troops and settle down the game. From that point on we outplayed the Minnesota Wild, one of the best teams in the NHL. After being down 3-0 we had more high danger scoring chances, the PP looked like it did at the start of the season, we outshot them 32-17 and we really battled hard. It really felt like tonight they believed in themselves, that they could get back in this game. And I saw more of the same after 4-0 and even after 6-1, they kept playing good hockey, they didn't give up, which is very important come playoff time.

I'm impressed with Jay Woodcroft still, we are a completely different team 5 on 5, I think this is a game that we will learn a lot from as a group, especially young defensemen Evan Bouchard who I felt struggled greatly tonight. The PK still needs some work and of course goaltending is still a concern but overall I'm not really disappointed with what I saw tonight. in 2019-20 we lost to the Minnesota Wild 6-5, the Wild only had 20 shots (Mike Smith seems to struggle against them) and I was pretty upset about that loss, I wasn't this time, the feeling as a fan of this team has definitely improved.

We have a death valley road trip coming up, the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday, and a back to back against the Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes on the weekend, 3 of the top 4 teams in the NHL, how our team performs on that road trip will give us a really strong idea of how they compare to the leagues best under Jay Woodcroft. Personally I'm keeping my expectations low and hoping for 1 win out of those 3 games, but let's see what our boys can do.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Attribute it to a very deep Wild team, schedule, the honeymoon had to end at some point, but the 'hockey' I watched for the first 15 was indeed horrific.

We did manage to gather ourselves for the second and third and even controlled play, but continue to have such low percentage shots and seem to not want to shoot at all sometimes. The number of below the hashmark passes in congested spaces continues to amaze me.

I would agree that the team feels different and did not give up, one of the few positives from a tough night.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
A 5-3 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning but the annoying thing is we really played well tonight.

Possession in favour of Edmonton (Corsi 60-41)
Fenwick (Unblocked Shot Attempts) in favour of Edmonton 48-32
Shots in favour of Edmonton 30-23
Scoring Chances in favour of Edmonton 30-28
High Danger Scoring Chances in favour of Edmonton 15-11
Faceoffs in favour of Edmonton 57%-43%
Hits in favour of Edmonton 34-29 (Which is rare when you control the possession of the puck)
Goaltending in favour of Tampa Bay :(

With back to back poor performances by Mike Smith, this one undeniably costing us 2 pts in the playoff hunt, Ken Holland must acquire a goalie on deadline day March 21st.

numbers from: NaturalStatTrick and official NHL website.

BrettB

Member Bio
Reaction score
A 5-3 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning but the annoying thing is we really played well tonight.

Possession in favour of Edmonton (Corsi 60-41)
Fenwick (Unblocked Shot Attempts) in favour of Edmonton 48-32
Shots in favour of Edmonton 30-23
Scoring Chances in favour of Edmonton 30-28
High Danger Scoring Chances in favour of Edmonton 15-11
Faceoffs in favour of Edmonton 57%-43%
Hits in favour of Edmonton 34-29 (Which is rare when you control the possession of the puck)
Goaltending in favour of Tampa Bay :(

With back to back poor performances by Mike Smith, this one undeniably costing us 2 pts in the playoff hunt, Ken Holland must acquire a goalie on deadline day March 21st.

numbers from: NaturalStatTrick and official NHL website.
A couple of points that stuck out for me watching the game:

1. TBay scored at least 2 of their goals when the Oilers were either exhausted or otherwise not skating in their own end. Particularly the goal at the end of the first period, the looked like they were trying to rope-a-dope to the end of the period and they paid the price.

2. I'm still not sure why Stuart Skinner isn't being offered a greater chance to prove himself. Not that I'm convinced he's the answer, but he certainly played well his last outing and deserves a few more shots.