News   Apr 02, 2020
 5.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.5K     0 

2021/22 Edmonton Oilers

nv96

Member Bio
Reaction score
On the topic of Sportsnet, does anyone else feel they underdeliver on bringing the game into your home? I've been watching a bunch of throwback videos lately and HNIC was on a different level back in the day. They knew when to crank up the crowd noise on the TV, the commentators knew when to be quiet and let the video guys do their thing, and there was something about how they'd kick off bringing out Don Cherry who would stare off into space and make predictions that seemingly always came true like he's a freaking Hockey Nostradamus Prophet that modern hockey presentation seems to lack.

If I were to describe the Sportsnet broadcast in my own feelings in one word, it would be "cautious".
Sort of been the vibe ever since SN took over rights to broadcast the NHL. The biggest move they’ve made to spice things up is bringing in Kevin Bieksa who thankfully isn’t afraid to show more than a crumb of personality, but outside of that it’s milquetoast.

I sometimes like watching random US only team playoff games on US network broadcasts, and they often have WAY more exciting productions as well (especially lately). Some US network a few years ago was actually using Jack Michael’s call on Desharnais’ overtime goal in 2017 as part of an advertisement for the NHL playoffs.

Gotta think, Sportsnet doesn’t have a ton of incentive to really deliver any product beyond “cautious” (a good descriptor), they have the monopoly of viewers for Canada, folks here are going to watch regardless if they have the scores written in Comic Sans or Bob Stauffer’s breathing as colour.

Lot different in the US when you’re trying to steal/not lose viewership with NBA playoffs and MLB reg season running concurrently.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
On the topic of Sportsnet, does anyone else feel they underdeliver on bringing the game into your home? I've been watching a bunch of throwback videos lately and HNIC was on a different level back in the day. They knew when to crank up the crowd noise on the TV, the commentators knew when to be quiet and let the video guys do their thing, and there was something about how they'd kick off bringing out Don Cherry who would stare off into space and make predictions that seemingly always came true like he's a freaking Hockey Nostradamus Prophet that modern hockey presentation seems to lack.

If I were to describe the Sportsnet broadcast in my own feelings in one word, it would be "cautious".
Cautious is the perfect word for it.

SN has always been awful, after the Don Cherry incident it got worse, everyone in the intermissions is afraid to say anything entertaining out of fear of offending somebody. They don't put in effort into the broadcasts, have no care for hiring the proper commentators and making sure the game feels enhanced on TV. They have the contract, they get the games, people will watch because they have no other choice. They don't have to struggle as hard as ESPN and TNT do to get people to watch hockey because it's already the #1 sport here in Canada. As mentioned above the job done in the states (TNT specifically) is better. TSN here in Canada is significantly better at almost every aspect of covering the game, I really hope SN doesn't get the rights ever again. Commentary is a huge part of the viewing experience and SN would much rather promote diversity in order to improve Rogers (SN owners) public image than put together high quality presentations. Now it's fantastic that they are providing equal opportunities for everyone, as a person of coloured skin myself I'm thankful to be growing up in this day and age rather than a few decades ago, however it's gotten to the point where they will purposefully hire and provide better opportunities to less qualified minorities in the sport as a public display despite the fact it hurts the integrity of the broadcast. Harnarayan Singh after just commentating in English for 1 (shortened) season got the nod for playoff commentary despite being in my opinion not so great at the time (he's much better now). Cassie Campbell routinely interferes with the flow of the commentary and make mistakes such as calling Zack Kassian a top 6 forward or simply forgetting the name of our coach, yet she still consistently gets to commentate Battle of Alberta games, some of the best SN has to offer.

Heres what some of the best commentary was like from 1992-2004 (ESPN):

Kaizen

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A few from game 3 at Ice District. It was amazing crazy good fun, can't wait for tomorrow's game let alone for Tuesday's Ice District's potential...

DSCN9711~2.JPGDSCN9690 (1).JPGDSCN9683~3 (1).JPGDSCN9669 (2).JPGDSCN9646~2.JPGDSCN9741.JPGDSCN9757~2 (1).JPGDSCN9700.JPGDSCN9784~2.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN9729~3.JPG
    DSCN9729~3.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 29

ChazYEG

Member Bio
Reaction score
Many of the "experts" picked Calgary to win in five games against Dallas. If Ca;gary wins, it will be in six or seven games. Dallas is not an easy team to play against.
But it'll be probably less hard to play than Calgary, which is a plus.
Also, our game kind of matches well with their, in the Oilers favour.
I'd say that, right now, if the Oilers keep playing at the level they've played in the past 2 games, there's a good chance of them getting to the conference finals, at least.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Brutal team play and a Quick goalie.

Players who should be benched for the next game:

2. - maybe even the series
13 - not NHL material
25 - not sure what he was trying to do last night

Connor, other than a few repetitive drives to the net, looked invisible.

Drai was average.

Yama was intense and the best player on the ice.

But overall we simply got outworked, out-skated and could not do a basic breakout.

Andrei

Member Bio
Reaction score
Brutal team play and a Quick goalie.

Players who should be benched for the next game:

2. - maybe even the series
13 - not NHL material
25 - not sure what he was trying to do last night

Connor, other than a few repetitive drives to the net, looked invisible.

Drai was average.

Yama was intense and the best player on the ice.

But overall we simply got outworked, out-skated and could not do a basic breakout.
Agree with Keith, but can't sit the other two out. They had a rough game, yes, but they (and the whole team) had a rough night. They'll bounce back.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Everyone played poorly last game except for Smith.

The entire reason we have Duncan Keith is for these types of games, he's not great anymore but you don't bench him, especially considering games 1-3 were his 3 best as an Oiler. Puljujarvi hasn't looked the same, but he is better than the likes of at least 5 players in all aspects of the game, especially defensively, you do not bench him. Nurse was fine, you don't bench your #1 defensemen after a bad game.

First game out of 4 where LA outplayed us, 2-2 series and it's now a best of 3, we have 2 games at home where we play better. First goal is very important this series just like it's been all year for the Oilers, both teams play significantly better when scoring first. Overreacting is exactly what the Kings want us to do right now, small adjustments need to be made and other than that you gotta trust the team to match LA's intensity. I'm expecting a big bounce back game from the Oilers, although I'm used to them disappointing me 🤣

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
It was tongue in cheek, but Keith was AWFUL, JP slow and ineffective at everything and Nurse a hot mess.

We dont need to bench them or wholesale changes as you mention, but good god we need some folks to check themselves. The level of effort, drive and all-out-ed-ness was nowhere to be seen.

If this team does not skate, support and hit everything that moves we are done tonight.