News   Apr 02, 2020
 5.2K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.5K     0 

2021/22 Edmonton Oilers

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Trade Deadline is complete and it was a good one for the Edmonton Oilers.

We made 2 trades today:

***Oilers acquire defensemen Brett Kulak (50% retained) from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for a 2022 2nd Round Pick (changes to 2023 2nd based on unlikely conditions), a 2024 7th round pick and defensemen William Laggesson.
This is overall a good trade, heres why:

-The Oilers are in need of a LHD for the playoffs, our left side consists of Nurse, Keith who is shaky himself and then Kris Russell, Philip Broberg and Markus Niemelainen, we needed a 3rd pair dman who if need be could play 2nd pairing minutes and thats exactly what we got.
-Brett Kulak is a smooth skating defensemen, he excels at the defensive side of the game, he is best at defending rush chances, transitioning out of the zone and shooting off the rush, all areas that the Oilers needed help in.
-The 2nd round pick is a bit pricy, however the market heavily favoured selling teams, specifically those selling defensemen, looking at what Ben Chiarot got I'm perfectly happy with this trade, I think overall Kulak is probably worth a 3rd and Laggesson but it was either give up the 2nd or get nothing, we got what we needed, we also got 50% retention which allowed for us to make another move today.
-Brett Kulak is an Edmonton boy! Born in nearby Stony Plain :) This could possibly help in resigning him to a fair contract.
-Kulak was part of the Montreal Canadiens defensive core that made it to the Stanley Cup Finals last year (although he wasn't a major part of it)
-I've been very vocal about my dismay regarding the moves Ken Holland makes, I do not trust him, however he made the best move here. His other options were Nick Leddy, Marc Staal and Ben Chiarot, he went after none of them. Brett Kulak is better than all these players and cheaper than most, and Holland went out and got him, I'm happy with it.
-I liked William Laggesson however he is 26yrs of age and below both Broberg and Nemo on the depth chart at this point, he was expendable for sure.

***Oilers acquire forward Derick Brassard (50% retained) from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for a 2023 4th round pick.
Another solid move, heres why:

-The Oilers tend to struggle without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in the lineup, his scoring and the smart little things he does on the ice are greatly missed, injuries always occur in the playoffs so having another depth forward to help with that was something we needed and something Ken Holland went out and got.
-Derick Brassard is a forward who no matter the team he is on (this is now his 10th!) has been able to find ways to produce, he played bottom 6 minutes this season in Philadelphia and put up 16 pts in 31 games, along with some stellar defensive play.
-Brassard is known to be a strong locker room character and good leader, having worn the A for the Arizona Coyotes, he has played in 117 playoff games in his career.
-Brassard is a more physical player than you'd expect, having put up >100 hits multiple times, he is still an okay skater for his 34 year old age and stands at 6'1 202 lbs.
-Brassard is known for having a high hockey IQ (hence my earlier Nuge reference) and is consistently >50% in the faceoff dot, he can play both the C and RW positions.
-He wasn't my first choice, nor was he Ken Hollands, it was pretty clear Holland wanted another depth forward but his highest bid would always be a 4th. Nick Paul was his 1st choice however he went to Tampa for a 4th + Mathieu Joseph (who has comparable value to another 4th or late 3rd). His 2nd choice was Johan Larsson who who went to the capitals for a 3rd round pick. Holland remained keen on getting a player for a no higher than a 4th round pick and he did so.
-This is not the first time Ken Holland has tried to acquire Derick Brassard, he has been linked to the Oilers in the past 2 deadlines as well.
-Personally I don't really understand the 50% retention on Brassard considering it saves ~400k that we didn't need to save however more cap space is always good.
-Main downside of this would be that he does not penalty kill, I've also heard that he can sometimes struggle off the puck, however we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves.

My final notes are that I think Jay Woodcroft can use both these players effectively, he is a very good coach and if you give him players with the potential to be good I believe he can make them good. Today Ken Holland got him 2 players that in specific roles can be very strong and I fully trust Woodcroft to find those roles for Kulak and Brassard on our team. It's frustrating that the Oilers aren't in a spot yet where they should be going all in and trading their 1st round pick, but we just aren't there. I know teams like Florida, Tampa and Toronto are finding creative ways around the cap to improve their squads but we just simply aren't as good as them, remember we are barely in a playoff spot, our goal this deadline was to be modest and improve our team and we did just that. The question of a goalie is always going to come up, I've made this point before and I'll make it again, it simply was not the market for one this year. Marc Andre Fleury (who ended up in Minnesota) did not want to waive his NTC to come to Edmonton, the San Jose Sharks did not want to move James Reimer, the Arizona Coyotes are looking to extend Karel Vejmelka and we did not have a player that the Minnesota Wild wanted (a cheap 3rd pairing defensive defensemen) in exchange for Kaapo Kahkonen. No other goalie on the market is an improvement over Koskinen. To my surprise we did not move Josh Archibald, due to him being unvaccinated he cannot cross the border therefore he is unable to play in the United States, rendering him useless for half the remaining games the Oilers will play. I thought for sure he would be moved to a team in the US that wouldn't have to worry about Canadian playoff opponents (Pittsburgh for example).

Last edited:

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
Salary was 50% retained for both Kulak and Brassard, so I'm willing to put away my pitchfork and torch for now!

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
There is nothing like Oilers Playoff hockey in Edmonton!

As the Oilers continue their drive towards the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs, we have begun to receive inquiries regarding access to Oilers playoff tickets.

So today, we are excited to let you know, you can secure guaranteed access to 2022 playoff tickets by purchasing Season Seats for the 2022-23 season.

Watch your inbox next week for an exclusive offer for your opportunity to secure 2022-23 Season Seats with a 20% deposit and then receive an option to purchase those same seats for the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Spring 2022 is shaping up to be an exciting one for Oilers fans, and there has never been a better time to become a Season Seat Holder.

Feel free to contact us with any questions after you receive the email next week.

Let’s Go Oilers!

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Oilers let one get away.

Up 3-2 with 8 to go and heading on the PP to a 5-3 loss from two awful defensive plays.

TAS

Member Bio
Reaction score
First loss of the year when we scored first, I believe. I guess it had to happen, in dramatic fashion no less.
Tough back to back with a late game last night. Mistakes more likely to happen late when fatigue setting in and under pressure circumstances.
Sucks!

TAS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Agree. Line combos are coming together. Not sure about McLeod playing up on second line with Drai though.
McLeod for some reason just let Hertl skate away from him on the 2nd goal while he basically stood there. It took away the momentum we just picked up from Brassard's goal.

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
For the next game, any chance of scratching Nurse and letting Broberg or Nemo play?

Last edited:

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Was in the Saddledome last night; what a fun time. Aside from our awful D and substandard goaltending it was one of the most fun games in awhile.