5.2K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.5K     0 

2021/22 Edmonton Oilers

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Solid game by Smith and a W for Woody.

Jesse made about 10 mistakes in the last 3mins.

Glenco

Member Bio
Reaction score
Did I miss the quotes from the players where they said they shoulder the responsibility for getting the coach fired?

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Oilers looked like a completely different team tonight.

Getting that huge save from Skinner and 2 goals off of deflections early on is luck, and luck is something we've been needing.

The rest of the game was a perfect road game by us, and a demonstration of Jay Woodcrofts system, he doesn't have the reputation of a defensive coach but his 1-3-1 system is defensively focused. He's got the players buying in and even a guy like Leon Draisaitl is looking good in his own end. I know its a small sample size but the difference from the Islanders game where Smith kind of stole it for us to this game after 3 days of practicing under woodcroft was immense. Outshot San Jose by double, a 3-0 win and the first career shutout for Stuart Skinner who made some really solid saves although he only needed 20 of them. Oilers improve to 14-0 when scoring first.

Even more important game tomorrow night in LA, against our former coach and Jay Woodcrofts mentor Todd McLellan, the ice time was spread out nicely tonight so fatigue shouldn't be too large of a factor but we'll find out.

Last edited:

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Too early to tell, but I would agree that he has focussed on our biggest issue... O zone turnovers that lead to odd-mans/mid-ice mistakes.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another huge win for the Oilers who improve to 3-0 under Woodcroft.

Not as convincing as the win last night against the Sharks but I feel as though we played very well in both games and that LA also just played a really good game tonight. Mike Smith with another solid performance (30 saves), almost as though goaltending improves when attention is brought to the defence ;) . 5-2 is the final score and we now pass the Kings in the standings and officially move into a playoff spot as the 3rd seed in the division, this was a hugely important game looking at the playoff picture! The same goes for Thursday night when we face the Ducks on home ice against another former coach of ours, Dallas Eakins. The Oilers are now 12-3 within the division which has been key in keeping us in the playoff picture over the last couple of months.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
HUGE

Gritty, contributions by many, solid tending and as you say... amazing what happens when you attend to your backend.

McDavid looks re-inspired.

Kane settling in nicely.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Shore played less than 4 minutes all game, good to see. Here's hoping Marody gets to take his spot!
This was one my favourite things. Jay Woodcroft pays some respect to Tippett knowing he's an experienced coach by giving Devin Shore at least a chance, maybe Tippett saw something in him that Woodcroft doesn't, every guy deserves a chance to prove themselves. Shore has a pretty atrocious few shifts and Woodcroft is not afraid to admit his mistake and benches him for it. Maybe Shore gets another chance because the guy can genuinely play much better than that but ye he is a depth forward on this team, I hope to see Marody as well. This is good coaching, looking insightfully into every player and holding them accountable. Only players Dave Tippett would ever bench was rookies after they make 1 mistake.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Get your Turtle Island Oilers gear now!

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another divisional game, and another divisional win for your Oilers.

Now 4-0 under Woodcroft and 13-3 within the division.

Great game played by us again, I felt like Smith wasn't at his best tonight but he did make some key saves especially at the end of the 2nd to keep the momentum in our favour. We went down 2-0 but fought hard and scored 5 unanswered, eventually defeating the Anaheim Ducks 7-3 (without any empty netters!). Draisaitl potted 2 goals he now has 35 on the season and leads the league, McDavid recorded 2 assists of his own and him and Draisaitl remain tied among the league lead in points. Lots of depth scoring tonight as every forward except for Devin Shore registered a point. We have now scored 5 or more goals in 20 games on the year which is tied with Florida for #1 in the league. Ryan McLeod I felt like was our best player tonight as he's flourishing under his former coach as he potted a 2 pt game with 2 beautiful assists and was all over the ice. Lots to be happy about as our win tonight really dropped the hammer on Anaheim and put some good separation in between us (in terms of pts%). Next game is against the Winnipeg Jets on Saturday at a weird 2 pm (local) start time, a win there could have us caught up to the Vegas Golden Knights for 2nd place in the pacific.