News   Apr 02, 2020
 5.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.5K     0 

2021/22 Edmonton Oilers

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
To be fair, Ken Holland did try to acquire a goalie (Darcy Kuemper, Philipp Grubauer) during the off-season before deciding to re-sign Mike Smith.
Koskinen is playing his final year of his contract. I predict he'll be back in Finland next season since I doubt an NHL team will sign him.

Andrei

Member Bio
Reaction score
He also tried to get Markstrom last season, but he failed to get him signed. Doesn't really matter how hard you try if you can't pull it off.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Failed to sign him because he wasn't willing to go the extra year that Calgary did, I'll admit at the time I was also skeptical about signing Markstrom to a 6x6 but if I knew what Holland was gonna do with the cap space this offseason I wouldve happily given Markstrom a 7x7.

Also noteworthy that he could've taken Jesper Wallstedt last year and opted to trade the pick, XB looks fantastic so far but really do we need another potential top 6 winger when we already have Nuge/Hyman locked up long term, Puljujarvi, Yamo, Savoie, Tulio, Lavoie and Holloway. Amateur scouting is probably the only department I trust on this team but it still feels bizarre not to take the goalie.

Speaking of Holloway he made his AHL debut last night and put up 2 assists in a 4-3 win for the Condors, he looked fantastic really excited about him.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
15 shots and 20mins in without a goal on a 5th string? Come on Oil, get going....

TAS

Member Bio
Reaction score
And the worst penalty killing team in the league, and we're -1
Still don't feel like we're out of it, an early Oilers goal in the 3rd is hopefully in order.

Back to back wins with back to back 2-0 deficits seems like a good story line.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
2 shots in 14mins... Bouche out of position and MK with his horrific angles on the first one. He literally moves/positions himself in such a way to PROVIDE opportunity for shooters. If he was butterfly and 8-12" further out there would literally be no visible net. Instead he is off to the left, not far enough out and leans forward exposing the upper right corner.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
I guess a W is a W... but we did not deserve that one.
What? We were dominant. Game was fairly even until the 3rd when we were down 2-0 and I'm assuming you turned off your TV. In the 3rd we immediately put on the pressure and the Canucks began to fold, if it wasn't for their goalie Spencer Martin who we laid 50 shots on the Canucks has no business getting to OT. In OT we outshot them 9-1 by the way, and good shots as well, until McDavid finally buried it. That was the most passionate game I've seen from the Oil in months, they seemed like they actually wanted to win which is a great sign. Letting in the first goal is still a problem. Mikko Koskinen wasn't great which we all expected of him once he starts too many games in a row, but he did enough to get the job done. Thats back to back wins now against divisional opponents, huge for our team. Next game is Thursday against the Preds.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Watched it through and through.

Martin was fantastic and kept them in the game.

We had an ok first, horrific 2nd and got lucky with some penalties. While we were able to put the puck on net, we played poorly, were out of position a lot in all positions, gave up a lot of odd-man rushes and had no business letting a broken Canuck team get anywhere near where they were.

Thankfully, as mentioned above, we did put pressure on in the third.

If anyone is impressed by that game, the bar is seriously low.

Avenuer

Member Bio
Reaction score

We had an ok first, horrific 2nd and got lucky with some penalties. While we were able to put the puck on net, we played poorly, were out of position a lot in all positions, gave up a lot of odd-man rushes and had no business letting a broken Canuck team get anywhere near where they were.

I was impressed with Drai and his 11 shots, Yamo's great chances and Koskinen's solid effort. It's funny that the team always makes non-NHL starters look like seasoned Vezina trophy winners.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score

Nobody is going to play a perfect game of hockey, Ian. We were very good, outshot them 50-27, we had 26 high danger chances to there 5, more than doubled them in shot attempts, went 60% in the faceoff dot against a solid faceoff team, I don't see how you can describe that as a bad game. The Canucks didn't play bad either, they were fine, just got outworked by us when it mattered. We were also fine in the first 40 minutes, not good but not the horrible mess you are describing. You say Mikko Koskinen is out of position at all times, I saw Evan Bouchard blatantly out of position once, aside from that it was just hockey, again not every player is going to be in perfect position all the time, otherwise all games would be like 1-0.

I am impressed by that game, because although the bar isn't low it surely isn't high. Don't forget we're still 3-13 in our last 16 games, we don't have as many injuries as the Canucks but we sure are broken. We looked great, made the comeback, got the important 2 points and now have back to back wins.

It's the Oilers, we always give up odd man rushes, nothing new, because we play a rush system. If you want to get rid of odd man rushes then you change the coach, but you seem to be against that.

Last edited: