5.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.5K     0 

2021/22 Edmonton Oilers

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
THE BOTTOM LINE

It’s as leap of faith for fans to go from the stagger we’ve seen to the swagger Holland is talking about, and there’s no quick way to find out which way it’s going to go because of how COVID is forcing so many postponements of games. The game against the Senators Saturday is the Oilers’ only game in the next nine days. They face Florida Jan. 20.

Like it or not, this next step is going to take patience — like that hasn’t been an ask countless times before. We wait.

Stevey_G

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’ll play advocate here. The guy can hit, score, fight, and fill a desperately needed role on this team. We sign him for one year seeing if he keeps his act together and offer him another one year if he does. If he doesn’t, we took a flyer on a player who could make the team better with minimal commitment and we don’t resign him in the off season.

It seems hilarious, but the two parties could use another right now.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree he can fill a role on the team but he is a very problematic character. I feel as though the phrase "locker room cancer" gets thrown around too much and isn't warranted most of the time (example: Taylor Hall) but with Evander Kane it definitely is. We are in a fragile state right now, 2-8-2 in our last 12, Dave Tippett personally being 0-8-2... not sure this is the type of guy you bring into this environment. Then again, currently outside of the playoffs looking in, he could help us to get back into the win column. I'm 50/50 on it as of right now. For me personally I don't like the guy, but I'm no saint, if he helps us win I'm fine with him.

With that being said, let's see if we even can sign him. He is currently under investigation (surprise surprise!) for breaching the NHL/AHL's Covid-19 protocol a 2nd time. This time travelling home to Vancouver 8 days after being added to the protocol list without permission from the San Jose Sharks or the league which is against the rules. He was suspended 23 games last season for the same offence, if the NHL can suspend him (they would have to look through labor laws etc because his contract with San Jose has since been terminated) then it would likely be more than 23 games. In the short term I believe we cannot sign him while he is under investigation, if the investigation rules that his actions are not suspend-able then supposedly the Oilers have a 1.5x1 deal in place. Not very clear information right now, different sources providing different information, none of the big trustworthy names in NHL media have explicitly said anything about it yet from what I can find.

Stevey_G

Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree he can fill a role on the team but he is a very problematic character. I feel as though the phrase "locker room cancer" gets thrown around too much and isn't warranted most of the time (example: Taylor Hall) but with Evander Kane it definitely is. We are in a fragile state right now, 2-8-2 in our last 12, Dave Tippett personally being 0-8-2... not sure this is the type of guy you bring into this environment. Then again, currently outside of the playoffs looking in, he could help us to get back into the win column. I'm 50/50 on it as of right now. For me personally I don't like the guy, but I'm no saint, if he helps us win I'm fine with him.

With that being said, let's see if we even can sign him. He is currently under investigation (surprise surprise!) for breaching the NHL/AHL's Covid-19 protocol a 2nd time. This time travelling home to Vancouver 8 days after being added to the protocol list without permission from the San Jose Sharks or the league which is against the rules. He was suspended 23 games last season for the same offence, if the NHL can suspend him (they would have to look through labor laws etc because his contract with San Jose has since been terminated) then it would likely be more than 23 games. In the short term I believe we cannot sign him while he is under investigation, if the investigation rules that his actions are not suspend-able then supposedly the Oilers have a 1.5x1 deal in place. Not very clear information right now, different sources providing different information, none of the big trustworthy names in NHL media have explicitly said anything about it yet from what I can find.
Most of his issues are off-ice and it’s challenging to know empirically if he’s a locker room cancer. A distraction? Probably. But I’d wanna know what players have said.

I’m simply playing devils advocate. I am extremely suspicious personally accused of sexual assault, domestic abuse, etc. ultimately I’ll leave it to the team to make it either another gong show or a redemption story.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Most of his issues are off-ice and it’s challenging to know empirically if he’s a locker room cancer. A distraction? Probably. But I’d wanna know what players have said.

I’m simply playing devils advocate. I am extremely suspicious personally accused of sexual assault, domestic abuse, etc. ultimately I’ll leave it to the team to make it either another gong show or a redemption story.
Well he showed up to the rink in a track suit once which went against the Winnipeg coach's code or something of that sort and then angered his teammate Dustin Byfuglien enough that Byfuglien threw his clothes into the shower. The end result of this was Kane being dealt from Winnipeg to Buffalo, and since then he's become 10x more controversial with his bankruptcy, and the other allegations you mentioned.

Hockey players typically don't spread much negativity around, if you looked around I'm sure you could find plenty of quotes from past teammates saying "he's a nice guy" or something along those lines. You don't want to be the one in the locker room causing problems by telling the media "ye this guy sucks" or something like that so we don't hear it often. Given his track record though I'm sure he's not the greatest person ever to have in a locker room. Yes most of his issues are off ice but when you have that many off ice issues you are probably not a very nice person and nowhere near a leader of any sort.

Stevey_G

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well he showed up to the rink in a track suit once which went against the Winnipeg coach's code or something of that sort and then angered his teammate Dustin Byfuglien enough that Byfuglien threw his clothes into the shower. The end result of this was Kane being dealt from Winnipeg to Buffalo, and since then he's become 10x more controversial with his bankruptcy, and the other allegations you mentioned.

Hockey players typically don't spread much negativity around, if you looked around I'm sure you could find plenty of quotes from past teammates saying "he's a nice guy" or something along those lines. You don't want to be the one in the locker room causing problems by telling the media "ye this guy sucks" or something like that so we don't hear it often. Given his track record though I'm sure he's not the greatest person ever to have in a locker room. Yes most of his issues are off ice but when you have that many off ice issues you are probably not a very nice person and nowhere near a leader of any sort.
It’s definitely a wait and see situation. Mcdavid spoke on the matter indifferent to the concerns. If the team is willing to support him and give him a final chance then that’s what is most important.

Still; a bad take on the organization’s part. It feels like fan attention to the team is at an all time low, and the happenings of the last little while and this isn’t what’s needed to get attention back on the team. They’re at risk of facing a half filled arena.

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
A half-filled arena can be blamed on this ongoing pandemic and has nothing to do with the team.