News   Apr 02, 2020
 5.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.5K     0 

2021/22 Edmonton Oilers

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
A four game slide and more tough games ahead.

Curious to see who steps up.

Reactions: God

kcantor

Member Bio
Reaction score
This summarizes this home stand so far
what summarizes this home stand so far - the last three games in particular - is that it’s only the goal tending that has kept those games close enough for one miscue to make a difference. If it wasn’t for koskinen that miscue would have only made the difference between a 6 - 1 vs a 5 - 1 loss, not 3 -1 vs 2 - 1.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
what summarizes this home stand so far - the last three games in particular - is that it’s only the goal tending that has kept those games close enough for one miscue to make a difference. If it wasn’t for koskinen that miscue would have only made the difference between a 6 - 1 vs a 5 - 1 loss, not 3 -1 vs 2 - 1.
I meant it in a general sense, that after putting on a ton of pressure in the 3rd period we get an unlucky bounce and find a way to lose, goaltending has been fine, my apologies for the lack of context it was supposed to be kind of funny 🤣

Lot of problems with this home stand, PP clicked twice last game but is hovering around 10% anyway I believe, PK hasn't been great they are letting in almost a goal every game. Practically no scoring, not a shortage of chances, we are getting pucks to the net and creating, just snakebitten right now. If I'm being honest this team doesn't look completely different from how it did during the 9-1 start, the pucks just aren't going in right now.

kcantor

Member Bio
Reaction score
i think there might be another difference between their 9 - 1 start and now. I hate to keep coming back to it but that’s this team’s tendency to both read their own press clippings and to fall into that “boys on the bus” syndrome that ownership and management perpetuate too much and too often. those boys are now grandparents and this team - and edmonton media and fans - need to remember there was no successful legacy until those boys learned that hard work and a killer instinct from first puck drop to the end of the game was as important as talent and isn’t something you can turn on and off.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ive been studying for finals but the Oilers have been playing hockey and they're winning! 2 wins in a row now, 5-2 against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday and a 5-3 win last night in Seattle. Both important victories for our team that was near falling out of a playoff spot after their 6 game skid. Last night in Seattle was particularly impressive because we were missing half of our top 6 (Hyman; shoulder injury) (Nuge; covid protocol) (Puljujarvi; covid protocol) not to mention also losing Ryan McLeod, Duncan Keith and Devin Shore(covid protocol) as well as Kyle Turris who blocked a shot and missed last nights matchup as the Oilers were only able to dress 11 forwards. On top of that our coach is also out due to covid protocol. Despite all of this mayhem, we played some of our best hockey games, everyone in the lineup chipping in, Warren Foegele specifically. We registered 40+ shots in both games, our highest totals of the entire season and dominated play for the most part only allowing 17 shots against vs Seattle. Interesting when Dave Tippett isnt behind the bench we play some of our best hockey ;). Now while reading this you're probably wondering about all the covid protocol, and I'll make a post about that shortly.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Covid is still with us and it's taking over the NHL right now. Lots of news over the week but from my understanding there are currently 7 teams completely shut down until after Christmas (Detroit Red Wings, Calgary Flames, Florida Panthers, Colorado Avalanche, Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs and Nashville Predators). Along with them the Carolina Hurricanes have 6 players in protocol, the Oilers have 5, the New Jersey Devils have 5, the Seattle Kraken have 4 and the Vancouver Canucks have 6. 8 other teams have at least 1 player in protocol (20/32 teams in the NHL). Lots of staff members have been affected as well including our own coach Dave Tippett. 13 NHL referees are also in protocol.

Because of this, the NHL has decided to stop cross border games in-between now and Christmas. Meaning that there will be no games played between an American team and a Canadian team from now (December 19th) until December 26th.

As a result:

Ontario has reduced arena capacities to 50% (Maple Leafs and Senators), the Montreal Canadiens played their last game in front of 0 fans. The Vancouver Canucks and Winnipeg Jets have also reduced arena capacity to 50%.

On the bright side all NHL players (except for 1) are vaccinated, of course this doesn't guarantee safety but it is well known to reduce symptoms drastically. I hope all players and their families stay safe and healthy, and anyone contracts Covid have a speedy recovery and be able to continue their careers unharmed.

The NHL said that they would make a statement in the coming days regarding NHL players travelling to Beijing to play in the olympics. As of right now that looks highly unlikely, which is extremely unfortunate because I was very excited to see NHL players fighting for those medals for the first time since 2014. Luckily, The World Juniors which are planned to be held in Edmonton and Red Deer for the 2nd consecutive year still seem like they are good to go.

These outbreaks are something I was really hoping wouldn't occur this season but with 32 teams and all the travelling it was practically inevitable. The omicron variant is likely the main culprit for the sudden jump up in cases within the NHL, although we had seen a few teams with trouble earlier this year it was running smoothly until now. More than half of the games on the schedule from now until Christmas have been postponed league wide. The NHL seems adamant about continuing on and not pausing the season, which makes sense from a business perspective, however at this current rate they may not be left with much of a choice.

Last edited:

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score
NHL Olympic participation is looking more doubtful. I want see McJesus in Team Canada colors, dammit! He hasn't had a chance to compete in the Olympics since he was drafted by the Oilers. However, I fully understand that health is more important than hockey.

kcantor

Member Bio
Reaction score
while the olympics are cool with the hype and all, i’m not sure about connor but i would take a stanley cup final series over the olympics and wouldn’t risk a chance at try the cup for a chance at a medal. it’s been said the stanley cup is the hardest sports trophy there is to win and while it’s nice to compete for your country at some point the potential cost is simply too high to make sense.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Darnell Nurse and William Lagesson have been placed into Covid protocol which now means 7 Oilers are on the list. Lets hope the spread within the team slows down. Our next 3 games have been postponed anyway as the NHL has postponed all cross border games until after Christmas. With 7 players in protocol the team should not be practicing at all.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Joey Moss Park celebrates one of Edmonton’s most beloved residents​

December 21, 2021

Few people associated with the Edmonton Oilers are as famous, or as beloved, as their late locker room attendant Joey Moss. The City’s Naming Committee recently approved the naming of a park in southwest Edmonton behind Joey Moss school in his honour.

“The Moss Family is ecstatic to hear the City of Edmonton is naming a park in the Keswick community after Joey Moss,” said Joey’s sister Pattie Walker. “Joey was such an inspiration to so many. We are thrilled to know that Joey's legacy continues to live on and that our children will learn of Joey's accomplishments and the importance of inclusion.”

Joey Moss was born in September 1963, the son of Lloyd and Sophie Moss. Joey, who was born with Down Syndrome, worked for the Oilers and the Edmonton Elks (then known as the Eskimos) for well over 30 years. His infectious enthusiasm for both teams, as well as his positive attitude and unwavering work ethic, made him popular with players and fans alike.

“Joey Moss was a remarkable man who was an inspiration to so many Edmontonians,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “His love for Edmonton’s major sports teams and his city never wavered. He did so much good for our community and I am so proud that we now have a park where we can celebrate the impact he had on all of us.”

Aside from his work in both teams' locker rooms, Joey was actively involved with the Winnifred Stewart Association and the Edmonton Police Service’s Lifestyle Camp. His involvement with the Winnifred Stewart program helped create Joey’s Home, an assisted living residence for people with developmental disabilities.

Over his years as an active Edmonton booster Joey won many awards including the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Award and the NHL Seventh Man All Star Award. He was inducted into the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and the Hall of Fame for Professional Hockey Athletic Trainers. A mural of Joey was unveiled in downtown Edmonton in 2008.

Joey Moss passed away in October 2020 at the age of 57. The Joey Moss Memorial Fund was established in his name to provide meaningful work opportunities for people with developmental disabilities.

Joey Moss Park will be located behind the Joey Moss School at 4416 Kinsella Green SW.​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/naming
Park map

Media contact:
Mary-Ann Thurber
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-619-3254​