News   Apr 02, 2020
 5.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.5K     0 

2021/22 Edmonton Oilers

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Got to watch the whole game tonight, was a good one. Lacked energy out of the gate which is becoming a very common occurrence for us but thanks to some amazing saves by Koskinen we were able to pick it up and get a goal from McDavid with 4.2 seconds left in the first. Not the only late goal of the game as Yamo won it for us with just 27 seconds remaining. Draisaitl has been insane he picks up his 8th 3-point game in just 14 outings, set up Nugent-Hopkins first goal of the year tonight and bagged his league leading 15th as well. We are now 2-2 on this roadtrip, our play has definitely fallen off from the first 10 games of the year where we seemed to be controlling every match (which was bound to happen), however we are still getting points and remain amongst the top of the standings.

JayYEG

Member Bio
Reaction score
Darnell Nurse has been confirmed to be out of the lineup for at least a few weeks :confused: That hurts, as he's one of our most important d-men and logs some of the highest minutes. Our defence was already a bit questionable, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes. Philip Broberg has been recalled from Bakersfield (AHL affiliate). This could be a huge opportunity for him to take the next step in becoming an NHL defender. He has 10 points (all assists) and is a +1 in 13 AHL games this season.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Leon Draisaitl with 20 goals and 20 assists for 40 points in.....*gasp*.... 19 games?? One of the greatest starts to a season in NHL history and looking at the rate at which scoring has dropped since the 80s and 90s you could make some sort of argument its the greatest. First off the goal scoring is insane, to score 20 goals before 20 games is ridiculous and not something easy to achieve at all, although we have seen it or some variations of it a decent chunk of times over the last 25 years.... but when you add on the fact that he's a playmaker with an equal number of assists... then we get into some crazy company.

(not just the first but the only other if that wasn't obvious)
(notice how nobody has done it since 1992-93 by the 2nd greatest hockey player of all time)

kcantor

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Oilers won 3-2 over Vegas tonight with half of their defense injured and no points from the 2 big superstars.
and we didn’t have to ask for an equipment check penalty…

the padding under robin lehner’s goalie jersey made him look like the michelin man on skates. like someone in one of those inflatable sumo costumes, you almost wonder if he could get back up on his own if he fell over.

Glenco

Member Bio
Reaction score
He looked like the Michelin man
1638133607589.jpeg

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Benson needs to go, but a solid second half of the game and what a hit by Russell.

Poor Hyman.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bad penalty by Benson, he's had a few this season, but thats part of being a rookie, he adds more to the lineup than Brandon Perlini and he's only gonna improve. I had higher hopes for him I'll admit but the way he's played is deserving of a roster spot in our still mediocre bottom 6. As for the game last night we were pretty bad, but we are missing 4/6 of our defensemen, a defence that was the teams weakest point to begin with. Koskinen was very solid again. Great game by both McDavid and Hyman, same goes for Yamamoto. Draisaitl I thought looked half asleep, first time all year I can say he's had a bad game, but he still made an amazing pass on the goal that gave us insurance. We are playing Seattle tomorrow, pretty sure it's gonna be the same lineup... if we can keep getting wins that would be great but I have a feeling the game against the Kraken will be where the injuries catch up to us. Nurse may be back on Sunday which would be huge. As for now we are 16-5, playing well, I still have concerns about this team but I always do, let's just enjoy watching the best team the Oilers have put on the ice since probably 1990. Currently #1 in the league going by points percentage by the way :)

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Benson is certainly living up to the 'rookie mistakes' moniker and I want to support him but he continues to be a liability and not inexperience issues but stupid F mistakes and idiotic decisions on the ice. He takes very bad penalties and seems to put himself in bad spots all the time.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree with the bad penalties thing but everything else I honestly feel like is confidence related. He was one of the top point producers in the entire AHL last season, he has the skill to perform in an NHL bottom 6 role, one thing he lacks though is speed, his skating needs some improvement for todays game. Aside from that though the pucks just aren't bouncing his way, I haven't seen any problems with him on defence and maybe if he can stay in the lineup consistently the points will come. His positioning seems fine to me, our 4th line had a few good shifts last night in a game where the team was poor overall, another thing about him is he is chippy, not afraid to go to the dirty places and stir things up which is valuable come playoff time. Is his current play the ideal option for a major cup contender? No. Is he the worst player on this roster? Absolutely not. Will he get better? Yes, it's highly likely he does.