News   Apr 02, 2020
 5.2K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.5K     0 

2021/22 Edmonton Oilers

erudyk_29

Member Bio
Reaction score
At this point to make the moves we need to make to improve the team after this trade the moves we need to make are to trade the Kassian contract (3,2 million until 23-24) apparently Pittsburgh has interest so get what you can for him. Ideally a bottom six-forward (Bleuger's RFA rights perhaps?) making n more than 1 million. Buying out Neal or Koskinen (or both) is the next move. I don't like holding on to the dead cap space but when you have the need to resign guys and somehow improve the team like we do you have to make sacrifices. I prefer buying out Koski his buyout is more friendly and having an ineffective goalie is more of a liability than an ineffective forward. Trade Turris as well he is awful you might get a 7th rounder from a team with a lot of cap space. This gives us some breathing room to sign back our important free agent's (Yamamoto, Larsson and Smith) and maybe add a backup goalie and a 3rd line center.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Oilers payed way to high a price it was an act of desperation on Holland’s part he could have waited for Chic to buy him out and signed him as a free agent at a much lower cap hit as by all accounts it was Edmonton the preferred choice. This makes Oilers fans feel like a bunch of hicks who have been fleeced by a big city huckster.
Ryan Suter, another veteran who has aged miles better than Keith, was just bought out today and would be a significantly better option for our 2LD spot, it would cost us nothing in picks or prospects and Id put 99% odds that its lower than 5.538 million. Well done Ken 🤣

I'm not so sure anyone is worried about playing against Keith at this stage in his career, but there certainly could be value of playing with him. That said, Smith was an extremely risky move and one to backstop the failed M.K. experiment.
I was not pleased with resigning Smith last year, but it was 1.5 mil for 1 year, that is one of least risky contracts you can get for a backup goalie. Besides Smith and goalies in general are known to be very hot and cold, 38 year old defenders with as much mileage as Keith simply regress except for very rare cases like Chris Chelios, Nick Lidstrom and Zdeno Chara. Looking at the trend Keiths been on its not very hopeful he will join those 3 names I mentioned.

There's not a lot of playoff and big game success experience on this team and for this group of players and the dynamics of that dressing room, this may be an important piece in their success - even if it's less for Keith's on ice performance as the leadership/character role he may play.
I agree with your statement up until the point where you believe Keith will help this team win. I think veteran presence is very important, however his cap hit makes it absolutely unbearable and as others have pointed out overall makes our team worse. Like I said in my original reply to this trade if you are spending 5.538 million to get a veteran player that veteran player better be playing incredible hockey which Keith simply is not. Their are veteran targets in Free Agency that would either cost us 700k-2mil (Getzlaf) or someone who would cost us around 3-3.5mil (Suter) who like I said is better than Keith or you pay the 5.6 million for a guy like Martinez who looks like he is still in his prime. I understand not every player wants to come to Edmonton but that is a garbage excuse for panicking and taking Duncan Keith at this price, maybe if we used our cap well and built a contending team the vets would want to come, if you truly believe that Keith is your only option then have the guts to search at the deadline or next year and don't just take him out of desperation. Getting fleeced by Stan Bowman... quite the low for Holland right now.

At this point to make the moves we need to make to improve the team after this trade the moves we need to make are to trade the Kassian contract (3,2 million until 23-24) apparently Pittsburgh has interest so get what you can for him. Ideally a bottom six-forward (Bleuger's RFA rights perhaps?) making n more than 1 million. Buying out Neal or Koskinen (or both) is the next move. I don't like holding on to the dead cap space but when you have the need to resign guys and somehow improve the team like we do you have to make sacrifices. I prefer buying out Koski his buyout is more friendly and having an ineffective goalie is more of a liability than an ineffective forward. Trade Turris as well he is awful you might get a 7th rounder from a team with a lot of cap space. This gives us some breathing room to sign back our important free agent's (Yamamoto, Larsson and Smith) and maybe add a backup goalie and a 3rd line center.
I'd buy out Neal next year so the buyout only lasts 2 years instead of 4. Unless we have something big planned even with this garbage Keith contract on the team we should still have enough cap to be half decent. Buying out Mikko and making the right moves (which I have pretty much 0 hope for at this point) can still make this a successful offseason. If you are going to target more guys like Keith though just keep Mikkos 4.5 buried for this year and then don't worry about the 1.5mil for next year (which we would have if we bought him out). As for trading guys like Turris and Kassian we'd probably have to give picks to make it happen. Unless you are trading with the Oilers! They will take contracts hindering your team for free! In fact, they will give you assets to do you a favour, such nice fellows over in Edmonton! Also would like to mention that Bleuger is a fantastic player and unless I'm forgetting something involved with the expansion draft Pittsburgh would love to keep him around.

Of course all this complaining will be for nothing if Keith walks in next year and surprises us all, which despite all the pessimism in this post is still a possibility. I'll tell you all thats it highly likely Keiths overall game (analytically mostly) improves next season and we see a slight resurgence as he will be playing less minutes and against weaker competition on the Oilers. I will also tell you that is highly unlikely he plays at a 5.538 million dollar level, and although I see his game getting better due to his lesser role on our team, his skills and durability will still deteriorate due to his age. Don't forget he's signed at 5.538 million next year as well!

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
They protected Zack Kassian over Tyler Benson.

They chose to protect a player who-when he is not playing with McDavid- is a career 20 point player. I know Kassian brings more than scoring, but he didn't do that this year with all the injuries he suffered. He also is 30 years of age and of course.... HE MAKES 3.2 MILLION FOR ANOTHER 3 YEARS.

Tyler Benson meanwhile is 23, will probably come in at about 900k, finished 5th in the AHL in scoring and was ready to make the next step.

Seattle was never going to take Kassian because Kassian is bad and overpaid, we could've left him unprotected and still had him next year. The only way this makes sense is if Benson for some reason didn't want to play here, or we have a Kassian trade lined up and needed to make sure he's on our team to go through with it. If we as an organization really think that Zack Kassian at 3.2 million is good and worth keeping over prospect that we drafted that is just.... well.... it's bad.

here is the full list of protections:

Thanks to Duncan Keiths NMC, we were not able to sign and protect Larsson ahead of the expansion draft and now risk losing him in Free Agency.

kcantor

Member Bio
Reaction score
^^
while it’s not a huge number, i think you need to deduct caleb jones cap hit from edmonton’s cap hit for duncan keith. while only 850k this year, it’s the last year of his contract and, if you believe in him, could easily be twice that the year after. that means the cap hit for keith is close to what you say would make sense for suter if you assume the oilers already have players under contract to fill jones’ roster spot.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
^^
while it’s not a huge number, i think you need to deduct caleb jones cap hit from edmonton’s cap hit for duncan keith. while only 850k this year, it’s the last year of his contract and, if you believe in him, could easily be twice that the year after. that means the cap hit for keith is close to what you say would make sense for suter if you assume the oilers already have players under contract to fill jones’ roster spot.
Forgot to do that in the last Keith message but I did in the one before. 4.7 million is a lot for this year. And by next year when Keith is 39 and Jones is 25 its likely that Caleb Jones is the better hockey player. His cost will completely depend on the type of season he has but I estimate it will be about 3.75 mil cheaper than Keith.

There is no way to justify this trade, and as the days have passed, more people have been bought out or traded, some left unprotected for Seattle to pick and choose from, all of them better players than Keith and on cheaper contracts. This was an awful deal on Ken Hollands part, I know I can be negative when it comes to this team but I promise you there is nothing I can say to give this a silver lining. We traded for a below average defensemen whose skills are only deteriorating, we had all the leverage in the world when making the trade and we managed to give up actual assets, a young (admittedly mediocre) defensemen and a 3rd round pick which could get you a much better player *cough* Vince Dunn *cough*. And of course the worst part of it, he is making above average money for a top 4 defensemen and he is making it for 2 years not just 1.

Also the point you made about Suter, I highballed his figures because I believe some GM will make a mistake on that, he isn't really worse 3.5 mil but he might get it. You would not need to add Caleb Jones money though because he would've been unprotected and probably selected by Seattle.

JayYEG

Member Bio
Reaction score
Man.. that's a HUGE hole on defence needing to be filled. He was one of our best defencemen in terms of actual defensive/shut down and physical play. Holland needs to address this issue asap. Klefbom may never play again and now we've lost Larsson, and the only replacement we've got is Duncan Keith so far. Does anyone know if Seattle still gets to pick an Oiler in the draft, or does this count as their pick?

Avenuer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Man.. that's a HUGE hole on defence needing to be filled. He was one of our best defencemen in terms of actual defensive/shut down and physical play. Holland needs to address this issue asap. Klefbom may never play again and now we've lost Larsson, and the only replacement we've got is Duncan Keith so far. Does anyone know if Seattle still gets to pick an Oiler in the draft, or does this count as their pick?
This counts as their pick I believe, so Benson isn't going anywhere.

Edmontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Larsson will be their pick from us, so we keep Tyler Benson. We offered Larsson the same deal, he simply wanted a change of scenery, no fault to Ken Holland on that one, just a shame to lose a core piece.

I like Smith at 2mil, good backup goalie money, unlikely he will perform anywhere near the level he did this year but we can hope. As many of you probably expected I do have an issue with it 🤣 . WHY 2 YEARS, like what was the reason, how much money did it save you? And if you're so worried about every penny why did you trade for Keith making 5.5mil. I'd assume if he has a bad year he retires anyway but like what if he isnt NHL caliber next season and then we just have 2 mil on the books for nothing.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Benson has upside, but Larsson will be hard to replace, period. Given who is on our team it is difficult to imagine wanting to leave... UNLESS... (as alluded to by a few journalists) that there is a reason to want to get out.

I like Smith at 2mil, but x 1.

We better be working on a RHS stay at home.

Hyman announced tomorrow?

TAS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Benson has upside, but Larsson will be hard to replace, period. Given who is on our team it is difficult to imagine wanting to leave... UNLESS... (as alluded to by a few journalists) that there is a reason to want to get out.

I like Smith at 2mil, but x 1.

We better be working on a RHS stay at home.

Hyman announced tomorrow?

I didn't hear what some journalists were alluding to - did they say what the reason to want to get out would be?