News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

2013 Edmonton's Future LRT

NathanielBorody

Member Bio
Reaction score
This picture is nine years old and nothing in it has been completed. If Edmonton was located in Europe/Asia it would have been completed five years ago.

Side question, is Festival Line still being planned to be done? I would assume that would be the next stage after Valley Line.

C686E8D2-0232-4CE2-B0A6-A3B82C91A6B2.jpeg

This picture is nine years old and nothing in it has been completed. If Edmonton was located in Europe/Asia it would have been completed five years ago.

Side question, is Festival Line still being planned to be done? I would assume that would be the next stage after Valley Line.

View attachment 436509

Based on discussions city council had earlier this year, I think their next priority will be the expansion of metro line which still has a long way to go.

Well to be fair, the Valley Line south is there just not open. The south of century park is underway for preliminary stuff. The stations between Belvedere, Coliseum and Stadium, I don't know if those will still happen. Capital line phase 1 is underway.

This is in the draft 2023-2026 capital budget (bolding mine):

"In 2009, City Council approved the Light Rail Transit (LRT) Long-term Network Plan that defined the future size, scale and operation of Edmonton’s LRT system. It included the expansion of the Capital Line to the northeast and south, expansion of the Metro Line to St. Albert city limits and completion of the Valley Line Southeast and West. The plan also identified the need for a supplemental east/west route south of the river; however, The City Plan’s Mass Transit Network has replaced this LRT with the B2 Route (BRT).

Currently, construction on the $1.8 billion Valley Line Southeast is nearing completion and it is anticipated to be in service in 2023. Council’s next three priorities for LRT expansion, the Valley Line West ($2.6 billion), Metro Line extension to Blatchford ($291 million) and the Capital Line South extension ($1.1 billion) from Century Park to Ellerslie Station (Heritage Valley Park-and-Ride) are also fully funded with contributions from the federal and provincial governments under the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program. The partner governments’ contributions on these three priorities totals $2.94 billion, which includes a $1.47 billion contribution from each partner. The City’s contribution on these three priorities totals $1.0 billion. Of the total capital budget approved for these three priorities, $2.4 billion is over the 2023 to 2026 period.

Construction of the Metro Line and Valley Line West is underway. Early works for the Capital Line South extension are underway and the main construction contract is expected to be awarded in late 2023.

Preliminary designs are also complete for the Metro Line from Blatchford to Campbell Road, and the Capital Line South from Heritage Valley to Allard-Desrochers. This budget does not include any new funding requests for LRT expansion beyond what has already been approved by Council. Requests for funding will be presented to Council during future SCBAs should funding from other levels of government become available."

View attachment 436509
This is probably a more accurate map since the Centre Line LRT is no more; the three glaring omissions I see are the extension to St. Albert, the potential station between Southgate and Century Park, and the two stations that'll eventually replace Coliseum Station. But overall this gives a better idea of what the eventual state of LRT will be in Edmonton.
Future_Edmonton_LRT (1).png

Source

Back