News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

107 Ave Revitalization - 101-122 Streets

If anybody who works with the city reads this, I would like them to consider this thought - when a nail is bent and not going in, do you just hit it harder? Stop with the cosmetic and superficial street scape improvements and work on more fundamental things

So, we have an area with issues that is struggling. I don't think the best solution is to disrupt it with a lot of construction, which probably causes even more of the struggling street front businesses in the area to close or move.

Right at the very top of the list should be Public Safety. There is a reason people drive and want to drive fast in certain areas. I walk downtown often, I rarely see any police walking around. They just drive by in their cars mostly oblivious to what is going on, except when responding to a specific incident.

Community policing in this city was a great idea years ago, but now has become a total joke. Many of the community police stations are gone or closed or only operate limited hours. Is it any wonder so many people in this city do not feel safe in some areas.

If anybody who works with the city reads this, I would like them to consider this thought - when a nail is bent and not going in, do you just hit it harder? Stop with the cosmetic and superficial street scape improvements and work on more fundamental things

So, we have an area with issues that is struggling. I don't think the best solution is to disrupt it with a lot of construction, which probably causes even more of the struggling street front businesses in the area to close or move.

Right at the very top of the list should be Public Safety. There is a reason people drive and want to drive fast in certain areas. I walk downtown often, I rarely see any police walking around. They just drive by in their cars mostly oblivious to what is going on, except when responding to a specific incident.

Community policing in this city was a great idea years ago, but now has become a total joke. Many of the community police stations are gone or closed or only operate limited hours. Is it any wonder so many people in this city do not feel safe in some areas.

I... actually agree. I think that city could 100% use the money for remaking the streetscape to help the area with its other issues.

Stony plain road is a good example of this...

Nice new street. Empty except for homeless people. Lip stick on a pig.

Project Update - November 2022​

Engagement was held through the summer and fall of 2022 and generated valuable insight from the community and stakeholders. Ideas and perspectives that were offered during the engagement phase were considered during the development of the preliminary design. The detailed design is expected in early 2023. Construction is anticipated to begin in late spring of 2023.

During the concept design phase, we learned that the park at the corner of 107 Avenue and 105 Street was a priority for the community. As a result, the park will now be fully developed for the community to enjoy as a gathering and event space. In addition to designing the park space, the preliminary design phase provides a more detailed design for the overall project.

Watch this space for the approved Preliminary Design plan.

What We Heard Report - September 2022

Back