7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

103 Avenue Civic Precinct Renewal

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
We seem to be very good in this City at cutting down large, old trees. Not sure what the health of these were or the importance of their removal to the overall scope of the project but sheesh, it takes 30 years for trees to grow this big in this part of the world. I hope there was a valid reason for their removal.
Those trees never did seem particularly healthy, which can be said for many other trees Downtown that were planted within the sidewalks maybe pre-2000 (when the root wells weren't as robust and geared toward tree health as they are now). I'm guessing they were cut down to widen the sidewalk and I hope the new trees will have a greater chance to thrive due to better urban planting practices nowadays.

With the mortality rate (of what I am guessing to be) of 24" or 36" box trees typically eliminating about half of those planted in the first year, wouldn't it be more prudent for the City to plant 60" box trees that would then be more sturdy and thereby have a better chance of survival? And, if the City would use more permeable pavement, root nourishment would be greatly improve in the growth area which for Elms is about 25 feet away from the trunk.

Last edited:
Tree wells near the trunk are pretty much ineffective for the trees planted there -- they might help adjacent trees. A better solution is permeable paving that allows moisture to reach the outer limits of root growth.
Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 5.18.40 PM.png

I wonder how permeable pavement would in a freeze-thaw climate like ours? Would it lead to more maintenance, as moisture can easily penetrate under the pavement, freeze and expand, leading to cracks and other damage?

Project Update - May 2022​

Construction on 103 Avenue Streetscape is underway and is expected to be complete by fall 2022. The work includes:

• Removal and excavation of the existing sidewalk and roadway
  • New curb, gutter and sidewalk
  • Base asphalt, surface paving, and landscaping
  • New pedestrian traffic signals and street lights
The streetscape will be completed in stages throughout 2022. Construction will begin on 101 Street east and the 100A Avenue alleyway. Traffic can access 103 Avenue from 100 Street. Once the west half of the block is complete, the east half will be closed and traffic can access 103 Avenue from 101 Street. No parking is permitted along 103 Avenue during this time.

Construction Bulletin - May 2022

Back