7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Alberta Politics

^
thanks!

I guessed this election will probably hinge on probably not more than 6 or 8 swing ridings in total across the entire province.

at the moment this shows 6 toss-up ridings in calgary, 1 in lethbridge and 1 in edmonton so not a bad guess.

Ryan Jespersen had an election analyst on about a week ago and he assessed that the NDP virtually have to win all the swing ridings identified to form government. So ultimately a bit of an uphill battle unless Smith and the UCP self destruct.

I think the big surprise is that very few of the bedroom communities have a projected NDP majority. I also wonder about the political preferences of the new migrants to Alberta.

Madu has not been an asset for Edmonton despite being the only Edmonton member in govt as far as I've seen, but I wonder if we will see any strong UCP candidates step up knowing the party has a fairly decent chance of winning the election.

Sounds like rural ucp MLAs are open to a Calgary centric focus this election if it means they will keep government (which winning YYC will mean).

If it was known UCP was going to win, would people here still want Edmonton to go 100% NDP?

The link I sent shows NDP wins in Edmonton and North/Central Calgary.. Lethbridge, Kananaskis and Sherwood Park also project NDP wins.

Nothing is a for sure, until people go vote in Alberta provincial election 🗳.

Polls are usually not that correct.

Madu has not been an asset for Edmonton despite being the only Edmonton member in govt as far as I've seen, but I wonder if we will see any strong UCP candidates step up knowing the party has a fairly decent chance of winning the election.

Sounds like rural ucp MLAs are open to a Calgary centric focus this election if it means they will keep government (which winning YYC will mean).

If it was known UCP was going to win, would people here still want Edmonton to go 100% NDP?

Honeymoon.

Tracy Allard and a few other UCP MLAs won't be running for re-election. This could pose a challenge for the UCP..

Will be very interesting to see how this request plays out over the next few months. Calgary (chamber of commerce) officially outlines $500+ miĺlion ask of the province including $100 million for their new arena and no provincial tax for 10 years.

"It’s smart policy and good politics."

Will be very interesting to see how this request plays out over the next few months. Calgary (chamber of commerce) officially outlines $500+ miĺlion ask of the province including $100 million for their new arena and no provincial tax for 10 years.

"It’s smart policy and good politics."

OK. As long as you treat the rest of the Province equally, though I am not holding my breath. As mentioned before, Edmonton has a wish list as well.

Perhaps it's time we look into creating a political party with the platform of splitting Alberta into two provinces. Such a party would get my vote.

Back