News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Past Vs Present

We were last there just before covid. Prices were high but well within a normal night out in YEG. However, it is not the most accessible place in town,
That set of stairs into the basement was/is a nightmare....I guess it hasn't changed. Their menu hasn't changed either I see.....same selection of crepes. I took many a "date" to that restaurant back in the very early 90's - cause according to myself it was the most "romantic" place in the city....lol

1669672818881.png

1669672872902.png

I'd forgotten about that stone building on the right which was a dry cleaners when I used to go by there every day as a kid

Wow, I didn't realize the Morris Lofts were covered up like that for a long time.

Is the Morris Lofts an original building or was it actually constructed once the building in the old photo was demolished first?
The Morris is original, if barely. A brick wall fronting the ING Building plaza gives a hint to its true age. Unfortunately, the building's facade was in an extremely poor state prior to its conversion, and the developer's resurfaced it with a veneer. Personally, I think they butchered it and the people on C2E seemed to agree. Here's how the building originally looked. It's the one to the right:

nc-6-1046.jpeg

Speaking of butchered, the development to the left destroyed another heritage building's facade around the same time. The section in the middle dates to c.1912. Unfortunately, its owners plastered over the brick with stucco in 2008. Here's a picture of it as it would've originally stood:

nd-3-3578a.jpeg

Again, a hint to its true-self is still visible, albeit from the air. If you look on Google Maps you're able to make out the distinctive lightwells on its north and south elevations:
Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 10.07.52 PM.png

^wow... I never knew that about the 95st building. Thanks for that.

Back