News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Canada Soccer

21 to 7 chances at one point, so yes, but if you can't hit the net it doesn't matter. Belgium still controlled the ball a lot more than it looked like.

Possession 53-47 Belgium.

3 - 3 shots

The first half Canada dominated most of the time. Second they continued to put up a fight but squandered a few great opportunities. Also the Belgian goaltender came up with two key saves that kept Canada off the scoreboard.

Love the Belgium coaches Twitter comment "We didn't play well but when a team can win a game without playing well there is a lot to build on". It really sums up the game.

Pub (Patrino's) packed here in Canmore for World Cup brunch... nice to see.

Great to see A.D. get our first evert WC goal, but we were outclassed. Let's build upon this, learn from it and get out of the group for 2026 at home here in Edmonton Vancouver!

A tough start, but valiant second half.

Proud of the boys and hope we can build off of this for home soil, but it will be interesting to see the roster come 4 years from now.

The best news is that Canada has improved from 90th (March 15, 2018) to 41st (Oct. 6, 2022) in FIFA men's soccer rankings. Belgium must be hurting today, ranked 2nd in the world, and eliminated at the group stage of the World Cup.

It's looking like Canada was in the toughest pool - both teams advancing from out of our pool, Croatia (which beat pre tournament favorites Brazil, and Morocco, who beat Portugal) are in the semi-finals and could face each other in the World Cup final.

It's looking like Canada was in the toughest pool - both teams advancing from out of our pool, Croatia (which beat pre tournament favorites Brazil, and Morocco, who beat Portugal) are in the semi-finals and could face each other in the World Cup final.
Exactly - in Group F you have FIFA #2 rated Belgium (behind France), #13 rated Croatia (played final game in 2018 and lost to France, and in the semi finals) , #22 rated Morocco (in the semi-finals and #41 Canada. Pretty tough competition given 2 teams from Group F made the semi-finals. I am proud of our boys and they will do better in 2026.

FIFA has just increased the number of games to be played for the 2026 World Cup. The expanded 48 team tournament was to have 80 games when the hosts were announced last year.

Now it has added 24 more games for a total of 104 games. Instead of 16 groups of 3 teams to start the tournament where each team was guaranteed 2 games, now the initial knockout round will feature 4 teams in 12 pools with everyone guaranteed a minimum of 3 games.

That means an extra 1.5 million tickets available for sale and a lot more money for FIFA. Opportunity for host cities to hVe visitors stay longer. Tournament will now last up to 6 weeks.

Unfortunately it doesn't mean more host cities and it's not even clear that it means more games for Canada or Mexico. All the games could go to the US.

Sure would be nice if there was some opportunity for Edmonton in all of this, but likely no chance. Still, I don't think it would hurt if city bid officials reached out and said the city is still willing and able.

Also, FIFA is looking at bringing in a 32 team tournament (rehearsal for 2026) in 2025 featuring the world's top club teams like Real Madrid and Manchester United - likely to be played in North America.[/URL]

Last edited:
^^ FIFA, Soccer Canada and the 2026 World Cup are all dead to me.
I am still smarting over the way Soccer Canada caved in and showed no support for Edmonton and claimed it was a FIFA devision - that is bullshit. Always the host country has the ability to select its cities. I felt betrayed.

Back