News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton and the Hydrogen Economy

A year ago….Pernaied was planning on building a 5B LNG plant using gas from NE US and shipping to Germany…..apparently contacts and financing from an “unknown German” bank were at play….well that fell through rather quickly. I wouldn’t put too much stock into Newfy Hydrogen any time soon

A year ago….Pernaied was planning on building a 5B LNG plant using gas from NE US and shipping to Germany…..apparently contacts and financing from an “unknown German” bank were at play….well that fell through rather quickly. I wouldn’t put too much stock into Newfy Hydrogen any time soon
EU got exposed bad for their energy insecurity during this Russia-Ukraine war, so there's going to be a lot more emphasis this time around verses when Pieridae cancelled Goldboro LNG last summer.

Alta/Newfie competition.
Newfoundland will producing green hydrogen acceptable to the Germans and exporting from Newfoundland by Ship. The wheels appear to be in motion: "
The agreement, which Trudeau called the "Canada-Germany hydrogen alliance," was signed in a town where a company plans to build a large plant to convert wind energy to hydrogen and export ammonia to Germany. But the World Energy GH2 project — which would include 164 wind turbines along the nearby Port au Port Peninsula — has yet to undergo provincial environmental approval, and residents were told about it only in meetings that started in June. Under the agreement, Canada will export wind-generated hydrogen to Germany as that country looks to move away from Russian imports. While the Ukrainian war has made for an immediate crisis, Germany has also been shopping for long-term sustainable solutions." https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newf...ada-germany-hydrogen-partnership-nl-1.6559787

Alberta has no easy avenue to export hydrogen - other than building the infrastructure to create green hydrogen - by wind farm and solar. And it would need an armada of airships. This may be doable but decades away from happening and the Saudi's will be looking to to do this or send by ship.The safety and regulatory issues have to be addressed given history. Forget about a line through Quebec. Alberta is in a hopeless situation unless it innovates and takes to the skies to export. https://theconversation.com/hydroge...spur-development-in-remote-communities-152730

Last edited:
'That’s just one of Edmonton Global’s hydrogen-fuelled dreams. Another is to grow theCanadian Hydrogen Convention from 4,000 attendees in its inaugural year to 8,000 in 2023 and 40,000 in five years, making it the biggest hydrogen convention in the world. Delegations from 21 different companies attended the hydrogen convention in April.'

Edmonton has something like 12000 hotel rooms, call it 15000 in the region, of which maybe 60-70% (9000-10,500) would be 'convention attendee quality'.

Edmonton better start building a bunch of Downtown and area hotels tomorrow to accommodate these kinds of goals; that's not a bad thing if we can fill them other times of the year.

*In the last five (5) years Central Calgary alone has added 5 or 6 significant new hotels with a couple thousand hotel rooms.

"2500 construction jobs." Not one of them less $100, 000/yr. I'd say that's a pretty penny....and a boost to our economy. Oh wait, they are not considered "Tech jobs," so they get no love from the Press...definitely no love from the Herald.

"2500 construction jobs." Not one of them less $100, 000/yr. I'd say that's a pretty penny....and a boost to our economy. Oh wait, they are not considered "Tech jobs," so they get no love from the Press...definitely no love from the Herald.
And its the trade jobs that actually pay the bills around here. Based on what I am hearing from friends in the Degree fields anyway. I work in the Buildings Engineering field and there are a number of trades guys that make more than me.

Back