News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

Canadian Tire is replacing their existing store in Toronto on Yonge and Church St with two condo towers and a Canadian Tire store on the ground level. So they're definitely not moving away from urban formats but rather only building them where they make sense. Until there is no room for standalone big box in Edmonton's core, there will be no incentive to fuse big box and urban development. Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal has the density and population required where it made sense to bring big box to the core population rather than relying on the population to drive to it. Here, Unity Square exists.

There are actually people living downtown in Edmonton, but they are ignored, dismissed and forced to drive elsewhere.

I really don't care if there is Canadian Tire downtown here or not. If it makes people in Toronto feel superior to have one great, but a simple small store selling basic hardware closer to downtown here would suffice.

On the topic of the mall itself, the food court was packed at lunch time. A little bit of hope that we're inching back towards the pre-pandemic days.
What is also often missed is that many employers have significantly densified their office space, so you have more people in the same amount of space. This means that even if new towers aren't sprouting up, businesses downtown should be getting busier.

Yes, and with people returning to the office, the resumption of events at Rogers and elsewhere downtown, and a steady stream of condos built over the last decade there are going to be more people downtown.

I feel that some of the people who make decisions about locating retail stores, in Toronto or wherever, are missing the boat or may be using data that might be out of date now.

Surprisingly good last time I checked (2020). EPS took a serious chunk of TD which helped significantly.

1. WEM
2. Southgate
3. Kingsway
4. Londonderry
5. Millwoods Town Centre
6. Bonnie Doon
7. ECC

After that, can slot in Westmount, Meadowlark, Northgate and Capilano
Northgate should be at #6 since it has Safeway, Walmart and Marshalls for anchor stores, which is a better offering than Bonnie Doon or ECC (maybe even MWTC since Co-op is closing there).

Northgate should be at #6 since it has Safeway, Walmart and Marshalls for anchor stores, which is a better offering than Bonnie Doon or ECC (maybe even MWTC since Co-op is closing there).
Also, Capilano should be removed from the list considering that it is mainly a power center not a shopping mall anymore.

Yes, a common theme here is a lot of malls, especially the smaller ones are struggling. However, I don't quite get the appeal of power centres, particularly in a city like ours that can be a bit chilly for a good part of the year.

You have to go outside from store to store and it can be a bit of a hike, if parking is fairly full and you decide to walk (here's looking at you South Common). A stroll in an indoor mall seems so much more pleasant.

City Centre has the added benefit of being part of an extensive pedway system and being connected to the LRT stations and several office towers. Yes, COVID really sent it for a loop, but I think it can come back.

ECC - hell, the entire pedway system - needs to stay open after 6 pm so that people can go to the movies, hit the gym, dine at restaurants or attend events at Rogers Place. These erratic opening/closing hours since COVID hit has been driving people mad.

CBEEF587-2058-4178-ACF0-64D521B8D3D5.jpeg

Back