News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

The Quarters

It certainly should have a positive impact and give more reasons to develop there, but we know that station is coming and yet have had very little interest in anticipation... so I guess we will see.

^
it won't matter whether properties in the area are owned/held by developers or speculators, you still won't see any new development until there is actual financeable demand for the end product whether that end product is commercial or retail or residential...

real estate isn't like the field of dreams - no-one actually comes just because you build it.

^
it won't matter whether properties in the area are owned/held by developers or speculators, you still won't see any new development until there is actual financeable demand for the end product whether that end product is commercial or retail or residential...

real estate isn't like the field of dreams - no-one actually comes just because you build it.
Oh I understand what you mean, it's just that at least developers in my opinion goal is to build (when the time is right), where as the speculator will wait indefinitely for the big payday to sell to the developer. Now of course, I do know that you are far more well versed in this subject. It's just that in my humble opinion I'm more confident something could happen one day when a good developer owns a property.

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 2.32.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 2.32.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 2.32.42 PM.png

^

I'm going beyond the scope of this thread but I really think Edmonton needs more non-market housing and I would like to see 'missing middle' scale non market housing started by government and located in the Quarters to help Kickstart some activity in this area to support the new lrt, existing businesses in this area and as a catalyst for more residential/commercial while creating better housing affordability which supports addressing some of our social and safety issues.

The federal government for one had massively reversed direction away from non-market housing over the last two decades and funding is starting to return towards the days of Trudeau senior and even Mulroney.

Screenshot_20221104-082657_YouTube.jpg

Why did governments for two decades turn away from this form of housing?

Screenshot_20221104-090637_YouTube.jpg

Finally, to learn more about the value of non-market housing as a big part of the solution on housing affordability, and also as a way to kickstart neighbourhoods like the Quarters, where I would prefer the city invest in more while pulling back on Blatchford to some degree, check out this awesome video - so impressed with this guy's channel.

I'm going beyond the scope of this thread but I really think Edmonton needs more non-market housing and I would like to see 'missing middle' scale non market housing started by government and located in the Quarters to help Kickstart some activity in this area to support the new lrt, existing businesses in this area and as a catalyst for more residential/commercial while creating better housing affordability which supports addressing some of our social and safety issues.

The federal government for one had massively reversed direction away from non-market housing over the last two decades and funding is starting to return towards the days of Trudeau senior and even Mulroney.

View attachment 437112

Why did governments for two decades turn away from this form of housing?

View attachment 437113

Finally, to learn more about the value of non-market housing as a big part of the solution on housing affordability, and also as a way to kickstart neighbourhoods like the Quarters, where I would prefer the city invest in more while pulling back on Blatchford to some degree, check out this awesome video - so impressed with this guy's channel.

Agreed! Would make a big difference to have 1000 more people east of the federal building! We need to kickstart things.

Agreed! Would make a big difference to have 1000 more people east of the federal building! We need to kickstart things.
If the 1000 more people living there have minimal disposable income it's not going to stimulate any other sort of development in the area. If anything I'd wager it'd drag the area down even further by scaring off the sort of higher-end residential development which does pull-in people with disposable income.

Last edited:
If the 1000 more people living there have minimal disposable income it's not going to stimulate any other sort of development in the area. If anything I'd wager it'd drag the area down even further by scaring off the sort of higher-end residential development which does pull-in people with disposable income.
Do we need people with disposable income everywhere? Can we not have a healthy, thriving community for those most marginalized, who already live in this area and would be displaced by more luxury development? Having Holt Renfrew, OEB, and Yaletown-esque condos isn't the only way to build a vibrant community. The streets can be alive with people running errands, visiting friends, playing in parks, holding festivals, and providing accessible social spaces (affordable cafes, grocery stores, services like libraries and community centres). Why does Boyle Street need to be East Village 2: Curtain Wall Boogaloo?

No? I think the ideal should always be to have mixed incomes. Needless to say if we are trying to achieve this in the Boyle area more low income housing is not what the area needs right now.

Back