News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Warehouse District Park

Not related to selling alcohol directly by a playground, but in many parts of Europe you can walk in city parks, where children are sometimes present along with playgrounds, and openly consume alcohol. Having a licensed establishment within the park will not cause mayhem.
I'm currently in Europe and have been travelling through it extensively for the past 2 months. Many parks do have vendors to buy alcohol, and I can confirm no mayhem has ensued

The "think of the children" Helen Lovejoy fear mongering about public consumption of alcohol is pretty ridiculous IMO

82% of all respondents to the survey are under 45 years of age.
42% of all respondents to the survey are under 35 years of age.

Reactions: God
I'm currently in Europe and have been travelling through it extensively for the past 2 months. Many parks do have vendors to buy alcohol, and I can confirm no mayhem has ensued

The "think of the children" Helen Lovejoy fear mongering about public consumption of alcohol is pretty ridiculous IMO

82% of all respondents to the survey are under 45 years of age.
42% of all respondents to the survey are under 35 years of age.
So 40% of all respondents are between the ages of 35 and 45; and 58% of all respondents are older than 35. I'm not sure what relevance these statistics have.

So 40% of all respondents are between the ages of 35 and 45; and 58% of all respondents are older than 35. I'm not sure what relevance these statistics have.
The survey results may not clearly report what Downtown Community residents want - compared to the over all City. Given 40% of downtown residents are between 20 and 29 for example according to the City. 49% are single. My thoughts are perhaps this cohort is not being listened to regarding amenities - which they will use. The survey did ask where you live - but did not differentiate between downtown residents or perhaps I missed that. https://www.edmonton.ca/public-file...Neighbourhoods/DowntownDemographicProfile.pdf
I'd love to see a cafe as well and feel that is one of the things missing in the core, ie. coffee or a glass in a park setting. That said, those are often tricky to keep viable throughout the year and so it would have to be quite visible and accessible. Pair it with a public washroom and a small storage and meeting room so that DECL et al. can use it for events.

Genuinely excited about this one given the transformational change it will bring from what's there now.
You mean like the former Three Bananas Cafe in Sir. Winston Churchill Square.

Last edited:
^kinda sorta, but I'd need about an hour to unravel that one with you.

The passive vs active use style park is such a great point.

A lot of parks in cities around the world I have seen have some great features within them: Cafes/food stalls, bike rentals, sports and workout equipment, gardens, cafes, fountains, museums, viewpoints, playgrounds, public art, and historical aspects. They are highly attractive places to be for everyone, not only to enjoy the passive nature aspects, but because there's actually things to do and see.

This park certainly doesn't have to have all these things specifically, but I would really love to see the City push for such an appeal for this park. At the moment, this is feeling like another place just to walk through if you're in the area, rather than a place you are actively drawn to.

I could really see something like George Wainborn being an end-goal vision for this park. However, I'm going to echo what everyone else has said and future development areas should be incorporated into this park for things like cafes and evolving needs of the community. I also want to point out that GWP is actively enforced for safety and security purposes. The city also puts emphasis on it's caretaking and our city needs to be prepared to take those responsibilities to maintain this park if it wants to ensure it becomes the catalyst they want it to be.

I would think that safety and vibrancy come from more intense uses. More intense uses would be active uses that are not as easily deterred by the atmosphere of a place - I.e., organized sports. We do not need another dog park/playground that is eventually abandoned by the majority because the atmosphere is hampered by safety concerns around the area. Passive uses alone are not reliable in creating vibrancy downtown, and we have multiple parks in and around downtown to show that. This park needs to include intense use space to compliment the passive uses.

I really hope administration is able to see the need for active uses despite the results of this public feedback.
Active uses are on the west side of 107 Street while more passive uses will be on the east side. A dog off-leash area is the most active thing you can add. I was surprised it was added but It was requested by lots of stakeholders in the area -- over 50% of new rental requests are owners with dogs.

A8E67AF6-23AC-4041-BF52-B434D36DFF22.jpeg
What are these for?

Back