7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Warehouse District Park

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 1.29.39 PM.png

^from the video above.

I'd love to see a cafe as well and feel that is one of the things missing in the core, ie. coffee or a glass in a park setting. That said, those are often tricky to keep viable throughout the year and so it would have to be quite visible and accessible. Pair it with a public washroom and a small storage and meeting room so that DECL et al. can use it for events.

Genuinely excited about this one given the transformational change it will bring from what's there now.

I think one of the best ways to make it viable is to put it near a playground that is usable year round. There are virtually no places in the city where parents with young kids can enjoy a coffee / drink while their kids can play within sightlines. In Europe that's on every second corner.

I think one of the best ways to make it viable is to put it near a playground that is usable year round. There are virtually no places in the city where parents with young kids can enjoy a coffee / drink while their kids can play within sightlines. In Europe that's on every second corner.
The pavilion will be in front of the year-round water feature / public art and will also be very near the playground area (not not immediately adjacent).

The pavilion is proposed to include universal washrooms, concession space and a covered outdoor area for a patio.

'Concession space' doesn't really give me confidence it'll be much more than a place to pick up a bag of chips. Maybe I'm being to pessimistic, but for some reason we can't seem to figure out how to put a proper cafe in a park in this city.

Don't forget the BP in the vicinity. Plus isn't there a coffee bistro opening up across 106 St? I don't think you need a restaurant or coffee bistro right in the midst of the park.

Don't forget the BP in the vicinity. Plus isn't there a coffee bistro opening up across 106 St? I don't think you need a restaurant or coffee bistro right in the midst of the park.

yes but as a parent with young children I can tell you that my biggest dream is to have a coffeeshop / winebar with a patio overlooking a playground so I can enjoy a drink while keeping an eye on my children. It would the first of its kind in the city and would be major attraction for parents, guaranteed. If I'm sitting in BPs I might as well be no where near the park.

^Exactly. Walking into BP's to get a personal to go and a pop is not quite the experience I am looking for at this new urban oasis. We want something more urban, more 'big city' and something to ensure folks want to come, socialize, people watch and relax.

Back