News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

This is big. On September 27, the Urban Planning Committee will receive a report on fast tracking the Bike Plan Implementation.

https://pathsforpeople.org/2022/09/bike-plan-sept-2022/

Paths for People has helped to evaluate the options and breakdown some of the tradeoffs. They are also making a recommendation for which they think is best and should be funded this Fall.

Obviously going to be a tough budget this Fall and our city has never spent money like this for bike infrastructure. Really hope we see this funded though as cities around the world continue to announce 100-500mil dollar type plans like this. We could be a leader in NA for biking in the next decade if we're aggressive here. Lots of students centrally, river valley, flat, little rain...great reasons for Edmonton to see a strong uptick in biking!

Please consider being a part of the advocacy. Here's a toolkit on what you can do to speak, email councillors, etc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eFR0PCflVQkAuP722n2lxIX6XagqczJF1FGwasiqdv0/edit
FdXWa0uaMAY1p0a.jpeg

There is outrage against the proposed 132 Ave redesign on North Side Hub Facebook group. I'm sure that cesspool is not representative of the majority of people.
I came across that thread as well - gave me a bit of a headache reading those comments. Most common type of comment I saw was "I've never seen anyone biking here, these bike lanes are a waste of tax payer money!" and other similar ramblings.

They were out surveying folks today about the Vic Promenade bike lane... wonder how those results will turn out.

Other than drivers coming up behind me, I try to make eye contact with the driver. That's if the windows are not tinted.

Varia to let me know if someone is behind me. Plus Cycliq bike cameras. (so my with can see who took me out).

Great to hear there is support for accelerating the plan. However, I was really hoping for a shared use path along either Stony Plain rd or 100ave to Winterburn rd. There are quite a few cyclists along this corridor and the access it would provide for alternative modes of transportation to/from the west would be a gamechanger.

Wow. Very strong support by council today at the Urban Planning Committee for accelerating the Bike Plan. Super exciting.
Was this not broadcast live on YouTube? I subscribe to council meetings but I didn't see any meeting today. I would love to watch it.

Somewhere out there I can hear Mike Nickel's delicious cries of anguish.

Honestly this is fantastic news. I drive to and from work and cross 83 Ave every day and seeing the bike activity there is amazing. If we can get more of that around the city, that's just great news all around.

I do find it hilarious that some people commenting and complaining about this investment veer to "What about the homeless?" talking points when it really is obvious they don't care about them at all. Frustrating to see but nonetheless glad for MOAR BIKE LANES.

Hopefully this investment receives full approval when it goes to City Council, as Committee is only the first step. Given the tight capital budget during the upcoming 2023-26 cycle, Council will need to get creative to fit in that new investment, if approved (I hope it goes through!).

Back