News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Chinatown

Edmcowboy11

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think that Chinatown deserves its own thread as it has various issues that need to be discussed from buildings to infrastructure and roads to crime, etc.

I saw this article from the Journal this morning bout an infrastructure upgrade proposal.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/lo...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1655349998

I think some of the ideas presented are a start. Harbin Gate replacement is important as well as a rethinking of the bridge on 97 st. There definitely needs to be more done though than just cosmetic work. Good strong businesses that help anchor the area are important too.

Safety is vital for the future too of this entire area. What can be done to protect the community and make this area thrive.

Why does the bridge over 97 St still exist?
The TL;DR is that Qualico owns it. It used to be a living bridge with trees, a community garden, etc., and volunteers were often there to help vulnerable people stopping by. But they got the boot from Qualico a few years ago (Qualico claims that it was being ticketed by bylaw enforcement due to infractions involving the bridge), and they have not yet said what their plans for it are.
Living Bridge.jpg
Living Bridge1.jpg

Last edited:
It should remain and be converted to a shared use path that connects the LRT path with Downtown, as it's removal would have the path end at Mary Burlie Park and force users to go down to 97 Street.

I'd personally rather see it demolished and a new steel pedestrian bridge built in its place. This will open up the sight lines into Chinatown from Downtown (and vice versa), and eliminate the dark, cramp, dungy and frankly scary walkways passing underneath. The CoE could work with the Chinatown community to incorporate cultural elements into the bridge, much like they're planning to do with a new Harbin Gate.

Maybe the new Harbin Gate could serve as the new bridge?

That bridge deck seems like the perfect place for a railway station with a huge MOFO ETFE canopy doesn't it? Edmonton Central Station... or something else but similar... And maybe with a dinosaur skeleton in it.... Like the rendering of a train station under Stelmach proposed for the site that never went ahead like most good and useful projects in Alberta..

After having to deal with too many issues to count I am glad this has finally got the attention of council... This to me is the #1 priority at this point... Public health and safety... They go hand in hand after all...

^
Worth every cent

"If approved, the city would hire a total of roughly two dozen new employees including peace officers, community safety liaisons and fire prevention officers, who would work with a new crop of EPS officers. The service is looking to hire 36 full-time equivalents to help staff the centre, the report says. Officers on foot patrol would stop by specific problem areas for 15-20 minutes every two hours, a hot spot policing method know as the Koper Curve."

No kidding, they need that yesterday!

"The administration report states that studies on 'hot spot' policing 'have consistently found no noticeable displacement and, in some cases, a diffusion effect, meaning that hot spot policing reduces crime in the areas adjacent to the hot spots as well.' The EPS plan, however, says “crime and harm may shift from the focus area to the surrounding areas,” which could introduce “higher crime and harm rates in areas that are not accustomed to it."

I'm all for it either way, Chinatown shouldn't shoulder the burden of crime and disorder for everyone else. But who do you guys think is right here?

If they had not let it fall to where they did, parked so many services and service providers there and perhaps didn't forget about it for the last two years we would not be where we are.

Again, where was/is the accountability?

Back