7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

LDA22-0196 Glenora 13802 - 102 Avenue RA8

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
LDA22-0196 Glenora 102 Avenue RA8

The City is reviewing an application to rezone 13802 - 102 Avenue NW and 13806 - 102 Avenue NW from the Single Detached Residential Zone (RF1)(External link) with the Mature Neighbourhood Overlay(External link) to the Medium Rise Apartment Zone (RA8)(External link), and the Mature Neighbourhood Overlay would no longer apply.

The proposed RA8 Zone would allow for a 23-metre high building (approximately 6 storeys) intended for residential uses such as multi-unit housing(External link), lodging houses(External link) and supportive housing(External link) as well as limited commercial opportunities at ground level, such as child care services, general retail stores and specialty food services.

2d23110a928b358cd69ba5ac31b49f47_Updated_Model.jpg

Density for that area with the incoming LRT is wonderful.

^^

Initially I figured NIMBYs will be out in full force here, but I actually don't know now. There's actually an empty lot (13616) now between the Bankers & Traders building and the house adjacent to this proposal, with empty land to the north and a street on the east boundary separating it from the homes to the east. Only 1 residential property is impacted directly by this really. That intersection is already somewhat dense with Crescent Towers and now West Block down the street. West Block 2 will add even more density whenever it gets built. I think this has a good chance for approval

Last edited:
To the surprise of no one...I wouldn't want a big blue block next to my house either! :p

In all seriousness, this is par for the course for this area of Edmonton. They don't enjoy progress.

And Aldritt is going to do anything on their property where this would work perfectly.

Proposed rezoning for apartment in Glenora met with opposition​

glenora-rezoning.jpg

It's crazy how residents are so opposed to this development, and meanwhile, west block and the older apartment tower (crescent heights, I believe?) are right there lol. I mean, the Valley Line West is running right through here, and this is where density is needed most. I'm really not sure what "nature" people are so concerned about will be destroyed either? (Unless they are referring to the large, grown trees lining the street, which I would hope are kept). Also, do people not realize since the LRT is running through here that the idea of these developments is to allow people to live car free? There may also be ground floor CRUs built with the project, and West Block also has businesses. I don't see there being much vehicular traffic being added to the area. Heck, if we can expand the 102ave bike lanes further west and into other areas, that's an option as well. This just screams "NIMBY" with no valid concerns. I hope we see this development move forward. If we are going to become a city of 2 million, projects like this are vital. I'll definitely have to try and contact council and show support for this project.

It's crazy how residents are so opposed to this development, and meanwhile, west block and the older apartment tower (crescent heights, I believe?) are right there lol. I mean, the Valley Line West is running right through here, and this is where density is needed most. I'm really not sure what "nature" people are so concerned about will be destroyed either? (Unless they are referring to the large, grown trees lining the street, which I would hope are kept). Also, do people not realize since the LRT is running through here that the idea of these developments is to allow people to live car free? There may also be ground floor CRUs built with the project, and West Block also has businesses. I don't see there being much vehicular traffic being added to the area. Heck, if we can expand the 102ave bike lanes further west and into other areas, that's an option as well. This just screams "NIMBY" with no valid concerns. I hope we see this development move forward. If we are going to become a city of 2 million, projects like this are vital. I'll definitely have to try and contact council and show support for this project.
Well said!

Also, the sidewalk on the northside of 102 ave until I think the intersection just west of this project (where Stony Plain Rd and 102 join) is actually a multi-use path so cyclists (and Bird scooters) are allowed to ride on it, so once the VLW is completed it'll really start to connect the bike lane grid on the west there.

Back