News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Alberta Politics

Was the only thing worth cheering last night. Swept through the bar I was at pretty quickly. Some former party workers there that were very happy but said the party still has a lot of his faithful.

But best line from last night. "oh No They Killed Kenny".

i don’t think at 51.4% he really had any choice - despite his recent comments about 50% plus one being all that was needed - as i don’t think the party left it up to him or could leave it up to him.

interestingly enough, the only provincial premier in Alberta to serve a full term in the 16 years since klein retired in 2006 is rachel notley!
51.4% AFTER stuffing the ballot box.

Daniel Smith is a nut case. If UCP decides to pick and choose which Federal laws will apply and pick apart the Canadian Constitution we will say goodbye to Alberta and hello to BC. I am a Canadian first and an Albertan second.

so, danielle seems to think alberta should simply refuse to accept those federal laws that alberta - from one day to the next - doesn't like.

didn't our outgoing premier already comment on the lunatic fringe wanting to take over the asylum he built?

i wonder if danielle thinks edmonton or calgary or red deer or high level should have the same rights when it comes to provincial as well as federal laws they don't like?

i wonder if each of the 375 neighborhoods in edmonton should have similar rights when it comes to municipal as well as provincial and federal laws?

perhaps danielle would even support extending this to individual households? after all, by the same (il)logic we should be able to democratically vote to declare our own homes sovereign spaces and refuse to obey or enforce any laws or regulations that we don't like regardless of who enacts them.

it will be interesting to see how the party that has been setting up a law and order campaign for the upcoming provincial election might attempt to reconcile that nonsense with this nonsense.

Provinces are to some degree sovereign in Canadian Confederation, cities (and neighbourhoods, etc) aren't. I'm 100% in favour of Alberta taking full advantage of this system to further our interests.

That said, I'm not sure Smith's libertarianism is really what the province needs right now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ION
Provinces are to some degree sovereign in Canadian Confederation, cities (and neighbourhoods, etc) aren't. I'm 100% in favour of Alberta taking full advantage of this system to further our interests.
Provinces are sovereign in the areas earmarked to them by the Constitution Act of 1867, that does not give them the right to just ignore court rulings or federal laws willy nilly. Does that happen on occasion? Yes. But we're not talking about using the notwithstanding clause on something the feds don't like, we're talking about passing an unconstitutional law that would not help us in the slightest, it would only serve to paint a target on our backs that the feds would be forced to harshly crack down on for the sake of national unity.

Daniel Smith is a nut case. If UCP decides to pick and choose which Federal laws will apply and pick apart the Canadian Constitution we will say goodbye to Alberta and hello to BC. I am a Canadian first and an Albertan second.
For your consideration: Understatement of the century... I'd say enjoy but I couldn't get more than minute in before the vile was pushed to the tip of my tongue Sheila Gunn Reid style...

Yah, I think a lot of them will be pruned when it comes time to cough up more installments of the $150,000 entrance fee, that's twice the federal Liberal leadership entrance fee in 2013 for context of just how crazy much it is.

I could pretty easily see Michelle Rempel winning now that she's been ok'd to join the race. She's a fairly recognizable name, certainly more recognizable than Jean was when he moved from being an MP to Wildrose leader. She has decent cred on Alberta sovereignty issues, with her being behind the Buffalo Declaration from a few years ago. She's also, to my understanding, much more moderate overall than Smith or Jean.

• Angry
Reactions: ION

Back