News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

I find it interesting, entertaining and representative of a lot our citizen's opinions.

It's less to promote their perspective and more to see what we might need to address if we want to increase the amount of folks who might come back to Downtown/Central Edmonton.

That said, I highly doubt J.T.S would return even if things change given their 'free parking' and apparently Corso 32 being available at their local mall.

Articles like that are annoying but we can't fool ourselves to believe that there aren't a bunch of Edmontonians that do believe this, that feel we are still deadmonton, that the downtown has nothing to offer.
I'm way more hopeful of the trajectory the core is headed but we're still not there.

I think it is helpful to hear peoples perspectives. Even when they feel objectively untrue (the classic “no parking” one is frustrating). I think it invites an opportunity to think about how we change perceptions. People find it hard to get downtown? What if we do free transit routes to downtown every Saturday?

People think there’s nothing to do? 1. Make more stuff to do and 2. Communicate and market better.

It’s hard at a macro scale, but on a micro I’ve seen a lot of my friends experience downtown differently just by them joining in with stuff myself and other friends do. Living in a new apartment helped dozens of them experience the fun of amenity rich buildings and connivence of walkable areas. I bike every Saturday with 7-15 people and we often go through core areas and parks. Many of them come from suburbs and are amazed by the cool little pockets throughout our city (Paul Kane, Louise McKinney, Strathcona alley, ice district, rice enbridge tower flowers).

Most people I know that hate on downtown haven’t spent much time there. It really is a perception and marketing challenge. Although the reality still has lots of room for improvement.

Hello and I hope all are well. I am born in Edmonton in the later 60s. Grew up in the 70s and 80s here. I grew up very close to downtown and I have always considered myself to be a downtown person. The writer of the letter to the editor is correct when they state that Edmonton’s downtown used to be busier than it is now. But remember there was no Kingsway Garden Mall a mere 12 blocks away from the core. West Edmonton Mall had only phase one. The city didn’t stretch out to the Southwest and all other directions as it does now with power centres and malls everywhere. Department stores were very popular back then and they are not so now. I don’t know if we can blame the Alberta government for the “state“ of downtown but I do know that there is a prevailing sense of favoritism to Calgary. Be that as it may I know the city has also made terrible mistakes in allowing so many older buildings to be torn down and left as parking lots; some lasting for decades to this very day. Eaton Centre was another “disaster“ that I remember. I laugh when I see pictures of the proposed towers that were supposed to be part of the redevelopment but of course never happened. We lost the old Greyhound bus station and the beautiful old Eaton store to that awful stucco building that stands to this day. I cannot for the life of me explain why they would tear down the Marshall Wells building to build that crappy greyhound bus terminal. We lost the Eaton‘s warehouse which at one time was the Rollerdrome and then Fannie’s Fabrics. Of course the Tegler building, the courthouse, the post office, and all sorts of lovely little brick buildings west of 105 Street. And why on gods green earth would they tear down the Strand theater to build the IPL tower which is so bloody ugly. I will never understand that. I do remember that Edmonton‘s downtown started to lose momentum in the early 80s just after Edmonton Centre and Manulife went up. I suppose this was the time of the national energy program and the oil price crash. In any event I remember it going from boom to bust. One day there were full page articles in the Edmonton Journal about Edmonton Centre and the bright future of the core and the next day everything just seem to stop. In my recollection Edmonton downtown has never fully recovered from this. I did move away from the city in 1996 and returned in 2018 and I have to say I was very pleased with the state of downtown in 2018. There were lots of people living downtown and more restaurants and more activities. For example the farmers market on 104 street as well as the ice district. Then came the pandemic and everything went to hell. It is true the state of downtown is not good right now. It is true that riding the LRT can be a terrible experience given all the unhoused and problems that we all know about. But we must all keep in mind that these issues are not just affecting Edmonton. I was in Calgary recently and saw the same type of disorder that I see downtown here. Also reading the papers from Vancouver, where I lived for 16 years, we see they are also struggling with the effects of the pandemic and how it has increased disorder. But just last night, and there was no game last night, we went to Tres Carnales and the lounge just beside it on 104 Street and both places were packed and there were lots of people walking around and many restaurants were very full. The new ice district plaza as it nears completion also looks terrific. There is lots of cheap parking downtown so I am not sure what the writer of the letter is referring to. And I think making sidewalks bigger to provide a more urban feel to the core is also a good idea. And when they finally finish redoing Jasper Avenue from 97th Street to 124th St. that will also help. In Oliver there are multiple apartment buildings going up as we speak and we do know that there are three high-rise projects going up at the moment downtown. Plus they are even going to build a new office tower! This will bring more people to the core. I remember when I left in 1996 there was absolutely nothing happening. So I feel the city has made huge strides since that day. All this to say that I am very bullish for our downtown core. We have been through a lot over the last few years but I do feel we are moving in the right direction. Sorry for the long posting.

Hello and I hope all are well. I am born in Edmonton in the later 60s. Grew up in the 70s and 80s here. I grew up very close to downtown and I have always considered myself to be a downtown person. The writer of the letter to the editor is correct when they state that Edmonton’s downtown used to be busier than it is now. But remember there was no Kingsway Garden Mall a mere 12 blocks away from the core. West Edmonton Mall had only phase one. The city didn’t stretch out to the Southwest and all other directions as it does now with power centres and malls everywhere. Department stores were very popular back then and they are not so now. I don’t know if we can blame the Alberta government for the “state“ of downtown but I do know that there is a prevailing sense of favoritism to Calgary. Be that as it may I know the city has also made terrible mistakes in allowing so many older buildings to be torn down and left as parking lots; some lasting for decades to this very day. Eaton Centre was another “disaster“ that I remember. I laugh when I see pictures of the proposed towers that were supposed to be part of the redevelopment but of course never happened. We lost the old Greyhound bus station and the beautiful old Eaton store to that awful stucco building that stands to this day. I cannot for the life of me explain why they would tear down the Marshall Wells building to build that crappy greyhound bus terminal. We lost the Eaton‘s warehouse which at one time was the Rollerdrome and then Fannie’s Fabrics. Of course the Tegler building, the courthouse, the post office, and all sorts of lovely little brick buildings west of 105 Street. And why on gods green earth would they tear down the Strand theater to build the IPL tower which is so bloody ugly. I will never understand that. I do remember that Edmonton‘s downtown started to lose momentum in the early 80s just after Edmonton Centre and Manulife went up. I suppose this was the time of the national energy program and the oil price crash. In any event I remember it going from boom to bust. One day there were full page articles in the Edmonton Journal about Edmonton Centre and the bright future of the core and the next day everything just seem to stop. In my recollection Edmonton downtown has never fully recovered from this. I did move away from the city in 1996 and returned in 2018 and I have to say I was very pleased with the state of downtown in 2018. There were lots of people living downtown and more restaurants and more activities. For example the farmers market on 104 street as well as the ice district. Then came the pandemic and everything went to hell. It is true the state of downtown is not good right now. It is true that riding the LRT can be a terrible experience given all the unhoused and problems that we all know about. But we must all keep in mind that these issues are not just affecting Edmonton. I was in Calgary recently and saw the same type of disorder that I see downtown here. Also reading the papers from Vancouver, where I lived for 16 years, we see they are also struggling with the effects of the pandemic and how it has increased disorder. But just last night, and there was no game last night, we went to Tres Carnales and the lounge just beside it on 104 Street and both places were packed and there were lots of people walking around and many restaurants were very full. The new ice district plaza as it nears completion also looks terrific. There is lots of cheap parking downtown so I am not sure what the writer of the letter is referring to. And I think making sidewalks bigger to provide a more urban feel to the core is also a good idea. And when they finally finish redoing Jasper Avenue from 97th Street to 124th St. that will also help. In Oliver there are multiple apartment buildings going up as we speak and we do know that there are three high-rise projects going up at the moment downtown. Plus they are even going to build a new office tower! This will bring more people to the core. I remember when I left in 1996 there was absolutely nothing happening. So I feel the city has made huge strides since that day. All this to say that I am very bullish for our downtown core. We have been through a lot over the last few years but I do feel we are moving in the right direction. Sorry for the long posting.

Thanks for your post and insights. Just curious, if you don't mind sharing, what made you decide to move back to Edmonton in 2018 after living in Vancouver for 16 years?

Thanks for your post and insights. Just curious, if you don't mind sharing, what made you decide to move back to Edmonton in 2018 after living in Vancouver for 16 years?
I was never able to afford property in Vancouver. Prices always went up more than any salary increase I got. So I moved back here to buy property. Trying to prepare for retirement 😂😂😂

I grew up in the 70s in Edmonton and I remember the $2/day parking in the 80s. It was brought in to revitalize downtown because it was suffering, especially in the mid-80s. People stopped wanting to shop downtown because, as others have stated, malls made it easier for people in cars. So I disagree with the premise of the letter.

Less traffic and more places to stroll very much make a nice place to visit, in my opinion, not a listening to and dodging a bunch of cars.

The problem I have is it did not add anything to the conversation just a bunch of old cliches and conservative talking points. Don’t blame the premier he said the same one who refuses to address social issues that are plaguing our downtown. How does this further the conversation? This letter could have been written by Matt Wolf.

My disappointment with Downtown is not a result of parking rates, difficulty getting there or what malls offer, but rather:

-a low bar with regards to cleanliness/maintenance
-a general lack of pride
-a complete disregard for safety of those who live there
-an abysmal retail scene that cannot even compare to Regina or Winnipeg
-a lack of respect for those that use the Downtown by construction projects, LRT etc.
-an odd acceptance and lack of enforcement for gravel/dirt parking lots that are required to be: hard surfaced, lit, landscaped and with proper drainage
-a general failure of The Quarters thus far
-an overall lack of vision (although improving again)

With a few exceptions, the overall experience when visiting, living, working or exploring our Downtown is poor. This is not a COVID impact, but has been ongoing for about 4-5 years now and disappointing given the progress we saw from 2010-2018.

Back