Londonderry Affordable Housing Redevelopment | ?m | 7s | CRHC | GEC

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Totally missed that there was a thread for this project.

DHmlEaKVYAE5C-7.jpg:large

YEG City Planning‏ @PlanEdmonton3 minutes ago
YEG City Planning Retweeted YEG City Planning

Zoning for Edmonton's first major social housing renewal opportunity in a generation has been approved by #yegcc#yeg#AffordableHousing ~PO

Edmonton housing agency triples density of affordable housing with no opposition
View attachment 119413
Community members sought to ensure the new 240-unit Londonderry redevelopment creates an open and engaging street front. Capital Region Housing said they sought to honour that in this design; no one came out to oppose the tripling of density when it went to public hearing Monday, August 28, 2017. GEC ARCHITECTURE

An Edmonton housing agency tripled the density of its affordable housing project without one resident turning up to oppose it at public hearing Monday.

It’s a good sign for what city officials hope will become a template for new affordable housing across the city, eventually giving homes to the more than 5,000 families now on waiting lists.

“We have dozens of other sites around the city with aging housing … where we could do this over and over again,” Mayor Don Iveson said of the 240-unit Londonderry redevelopment in Edmonton’s Kilkenny neighbourhood.

It will replace an aging 80-unit structure on 72 Street near 144 Avenue with new townhouses and apartments ranging from one- to five-bedroom suites.

“This is fantastic work. It really is a community you’re building here,” Iveson said of the design that creates a large outdoor public courtyard, indoor community space and amenities for the whole neighbourhood, and front doors and porches facing every direction.

“The fact no one has come to oppose mixed-income housing in their neighbourhood is substantial and note-worthy.”

Capital Region Housing executive Greg Dewling said it hopes to start the $72-million project this fall, opening the building in 2019.

wjdh4kppdd-jpg-e1503960146421.jpg

Plans for Capital Region Housing’s Londonderry site call for 240 units arranged in an X formation with townhouses facing inside and out. GEC ARCHITECTURE, SUPPLIED

He credits winning over the neighbourhood to the fact they didn’t start with a predetermined design. They went into the first open housing thinking they’d aim for about 220 units, but it was soon clear the community cared more about the design than the total.

Community members wanted something that was nice to walk beside, that was part of the neighbourhood without a “monolithic wall” beside the street, said Dewling. Once they satisfied that, “we actually ended up with more homes than we originally proposed.”

3zxot63grc-jpeg1-e1503960188801.jpg

Community members sought to ensure the Londonderry redevelopment creates an open and engaging street front.GEC ARCHITECTURE

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...sity-of-affordable-housing-with-no-opposition

PERMIT_DATE July 10, 2018
PERMIT_NUMBER
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 14540 - 72 STREET NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD KILKENNY
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct the PARKADE ONLY for a future apartment building - The Londonderry Mixed-Use Development
BUILDING_TYPE Parkade (490)
WORK_TYPE (01) New
FLOOR_AREA
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 8,071,964
ZONING DC2

Rode up there today to see this project and visit the old neighbourhood. It looks like everything is topped out, and cladding is largely complete on the NW tower. I love the double-courtyard setup, I think it'll prove to be a nice way to include some welcoming park space without creating the wide open 'no-man's land' common in a lot of multi-building ocmplexes, where the space is too big and unfocused to be used affectively. IDK I hope this thing turns out! this is a pretty big project, it's cool to see something with this much drama and intensity in an otherwise dry, quiet area. is there any commercial in the building itself? it sits next to a strip mall already, i was just wondering if any more was being included.
IMG_9096.JPGIMG_9098.JPGIMG_9101.JPGIMG_9108.JPG
IMG_9110.JPG

Also, minor point of pride for the North End: you can see this thing clearly from Griesbach Hill (this is a crappy cellphone pic sorry):
IMG_9113.JPG

Is this project still affordable housing?? Genuinely asking because those look like really well done buildings with nice units. Not saying all affordable and supportive housing looks cheap and has bad units, but that's usually how it's been unfortunately.

Back