News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Article from Forbes. Not 100% downtown related but close enough. Always nice to see YEG get some positive press.

13,447 viewsJan 9, 2020, 06:30am
Discover Why Edmonton, Alberta Is One Of Canada’s Hottest Destinations

Edmonton Cityscape Edmonton is one of Canada's Hottest Destinations

Edmonton Cityscape
EDMONTON TOURISM
Something exciting has been happening in the Western Canadian city of Edmonton over the last few years. Previously, in the belief that the city’s cultural, scenic and foodie attractions weren’t quite up to snuff, Alberta’s capital city often lost out to Calgary or Banff when it came to catching tourists’ attention. Lately, however, thanks to intense revitalization efforts and one of the most celebrated food scenes in Canada, Edmonton is generating tons of buzz and there’s never been a better time to see this underdog finally take center stage. Check out why Edmonton, is one of Canada’s hottest destinations.

Sad, but truly defines the current state of bricks-and-mortar retail and we probably haven't seen the worst of it yet.

I was going to create a 'General Retail & Entertainment" sub-thread in the Urban Life Forum, but didn't. I'll post here, as we've had some ongoing related retail discussions.
I found this snip-it an interesting comparison of top 30 malls in N.A. and the general trend towards residential/lifestyle focus. To qualify this post for "Downtown', I'll add - I hope that City Center Mall soon follows the trend !

^ General B.S. and happytalk -- the reality is much more grim. We are working on a stop-gap solution.

PERMIT_DATE February 06, 2020
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 10412 - JASPER AVENUE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct Interior Alteration for a new restaurant - Wayback Burgers
BUILDING_TYPE Restaurants and Bars (540)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
FLOOR_AREA 37,490.66
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 310,600

To shed a bit more light on this article -- Helena Foulkes, a rising star in the retail world, had been the CEO of HBC, Saks, and Lord & Taylor; she was working on moving the HQ for HBC from Brampton, Ontario to NYC. In fact, she had signed a major lease in a new high-rise in Manhattan that at the retail level would have been the flagship location for a new HBC/Saks/Lord and Taylor mega-store. A couple of months back she was -- on very short notice -- let go and the reins of the retail conglomerate NRDC (National Retail Development Corp.), majority-owned by Robert Baker, was taken over by his very own self. Mr. Baker decided to shutter Lord and Taylor and liquidate as much of the holdings of HBC and Saks 5th Ave. as possible and close all non-performing stores to reduce debt -- speculation being that he would then sell the remaining entities out of the NRDC portfolio altogether. The Edmonton move is part of that consolidation with further speculation that many other poorly performing stores would also be closed. As I have stressed on many occasions before on this platform, the Bricks-and-Mortar Retail world is in a tail-spin and is heading down ? fast. Who is smiling? Jeff Bezos is ?. Jack Ma is ?. Liu Qiangdong is ?. Jim Walton is (Walmart is rapidly moving away from its megastore prominence) ?. Tobias "Tobi" Lütke is (ach du lieber Himmel) ?. Michael Otto is (auch ach du lieber)??. Jay Walker is ?. Pierre Omidyar is ?. Hiroshi Mikitani is ?. And Holch Povlsen is ?.
Now who also is smiling -- Ted Powell is (as he moves rapidly into this space with a plethora of high tech innovations that will rebirth retail and hospitality on the street) ?.

Description: To move on site 3 shipping containers: Temporary Permit Expires May 7, 2023. An east bar container selling alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and light snacks. A west bar container featuring a rotating series of local pop-up businesses, a washroom container connected to underground water service. (InStreet Developers).
Permit date: August 28, 2020
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (12) Move Building OnSite
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Outdoor Recreational Buildings (562)
Address: 10004 - 103A AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: CCA, CCA
Value: $120,000.00

1598889790561.png

^ That's a little good news, for a change!
Commerce Place (Reopening September 14)
Our Commerce Place location offers a bakery, grab ‘n’ go meals, a fully stocked self-serve salad bar, Lavazza coffee, a café and cooking classes. Grab a hot meal from our selection of pizza, European-style big pans, soups, hot carve entrees and breakfast – all available for dine-in or take-out.

Back