News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

Their two towers are full, and there's some parkade revenue. There's a handful of service oriented stores that aren't going anywhere. Business strategies can span 5-40 years, so it might be just we're not party to what they're planning at this moment.

Security costs are WAY up all over Downtown. That's in direct response to real or perceived issues. But yes people complained about safety before the pandemic, but not to the extent I hear it now specifically from visitors and workers. I personally feel safe most of the times but consider myself 'street smart', but that's kinda irrelevant when we're talking about getting people back to Downtown and business confidence.
Likewise, I personally feel safe most of the time and I walk downtown almost every day. I feel the city and others, while perhaps slow to react, are now making a good effort particularly on safety.

I realize it may take time for confidence to come back and the pandemic exposed lingering problems in a very obvious way, but the owners of this building rightly asked for action and I fee they got it. So now I feel the ball is in their court to also make an effort to help get things back on track.

spending another half a billion dollars or so throwing good money after bad doesn’t make sense as a business strategy either…

until there is enough confidence that the status quo isn’t going to stay the status quo (noting that economics and interest rates are also part of that status quo), we’re not likely to see much happen.
I feel it is about making the effort to fill the space and not giving up and I don't think that requires spending a half a billion dollars.

1679062374557.png

This was around 12:30pm... my own Vanilla Sky

I might have been in that pedway you see way at the back of the picture around that time, it is usually quite busy around that time with traffic between the mall and the Manulife. Of course no one in front of the now closed department store, there is no reason to walk to a closed store.

I might have been in that pedway you see way at the back of the picture around that time, it is usually quite busy around that time with traffic between the mall and the Manulife. Of course no one in front of the now closed department store, there is no reason to walk to a closed store.
With the entirety of The Bay area closed off, I came out of the City Centre doors to walk for lunch and I didn't walk past another person until I got to 104st. Thankfully, 104th was actually quite busy.

Having both the road in front of the old Bay store closed and the LRT line not yet running also doesn't help either but it is a perfect example of what happens when the retail disappears and the area becomes less accessible.

I actually did see a few people around the same time today walking by the old Bay to somewhere else, but many times more in the pedway.

When I went by again around 3pm today, saw six more people in this area - three at the corner and three going into the mall entrance.

So while it is far from lively, there is more activity than the picture suggests.

Also, noticed some activity again in the space next to Talbolts - still wondering what that is.

Even less activity when the vehicle lane was closed.

I've heard that Winners has resigned their lease.

Just to ensure I understand, you're noticing that opening up 102 Ave to a single lane of vehicles in one direction has resulted in more foot traffic?

Back