Exhibition Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

It would be interesting if someone made documentary or something about the Coliseum from start to end. I remember it being built when I was quite young and it has been a big part of our city's history.

a-1974-file-photo-of-the-construction-of-northlands-coliseum.jpeg
Coliseum plans.jpg
Coliseum under construction 1973.jpg
a-1974-file-photo-of-the-construction-of-northlands-coliseum.jpeg
Coliseum plans.jpg
Coliseum under construction 1973.jpg

Awesome. My uncle was just telling me the other day how he worked on setting up and taking down the cranes they had on some sort of tracks for construction of the Coliseum with Batoni Bowlen.

I believe there are some Bowlen’s kicking around St Albert still, I worked with a guy who knew/worked with some of their extended family.

The city opened up the Northlands Coliseum to the media for a final tour before its demolition, which won’t begin until at least 2025. The arena, which hasn’t been in use since its closure in 2017, is now home to mice and bats. Much of the useable furniture and memorabilia of value has already been removed, leaving behind plenty of debris and dust. The city says it will take about a year to get rid of everything that remains before the structure itself can come down. City council approved $35 million for its demolition during last year’s budget discussions.
-Taproot

The city opened up the Northlands Coliseum to the media for a final tour before its demolition, which won’t begin until at least 2025. The arena, which hasn’t been in use since its closure in 2017, is now home to mice and bats. Much of the useable furniture and memorabilia of value has already been removed, leaving behind plenty of debris and dust. The city says it will take about a year to get rid of everything that remains before the structure itself can come down. City council approved $35 million for its demolition during last year’s budget discussions.
-Taproot
because they haven’t had time to that since 2017…

according to the reports, there’s still glassware and cutlery and dishes as well as equipment and plumbing and electrical fixtures etc.

you’d think homeward trust or the mennonite centre or some of the immigrant/refugee support groups could have put some of it to good use over the past 6 years.

The city is so incredibly short sighted. As we move towards two million people, the city will REQUIRE more large-scale venues for attractions that will not be able to afford to lease at Rogers. You can say goodbye to most family friendly events, that's for sure.

Back