News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Hearing now that it might not be Icelandair. Kinda what happens when everything is just rumours and coming through the grapevine. So now I'm very curious to see what is announced.
FI being announced at this point seemed a little short notice (for summer sched) so that wouldn't be crazy. Interested to see what it ends up being.

New WJ routes for YEG being reported on SSP by 'YYCSpotter'
----
WS has filed its summer 2023 update. Below are routes that are new in the schedule versus last week.

YEG-MSP - 5x weekly
YEG-SEA - 5x weekly
YEG-YXU - 2x weekly - London, ON
YEG-YOW - 6x weekly
YEG-YYG - 1x weekly - Charlottetown

Last edited:
MSP and SEA are massive adds, congrats to YEG and props to WS for coming in to fly what DL never should have bailed on in the first place.

6x weekly YOW seems a bit aggressive and AC will work them over on that, but I love everything else.

Pretty sure YYC to SEA is on the same plane
Yes it's still currently showing a Q400, plenty of talk in the last year of it becoming a split mainline operation but no sign yet. With YEG now getting their own SEA it likely is no longer required, at least for S23.

Last edited:
I/we will not fly on a prop but that is our preference - hate the noise, not pet friendly and use of the tarmac instead of a gate that happens all too often. So won't be flying to/from SEA on WS. MSP is a good catch. I hope Mondays announcement from EIA about a new nonstop European route like AC YEG to LHR or LGW but I will be happy with any foreign carrier route that provides non-stop YEG to Europe and KEF would be great beachhead to the UK, Ireland and the European continent.

Last edited:
Trendline seems to be up for Flair but they still have a way to go on US traffic

Amazing that with load factor in excess of 90% westjet still won't deign to increase frequency or fly the 787 from YEG.
I do think that stubborn single minded focus on the city it is based on may eventually do WestJet in.

Air Canada seems to have figured it out, leave that sandbox to them and serve other bigger markets.

New WJ routes for YEG being reported on SSP by 'YYCSpotter'
----
WS has filed its summer 2023 update. Below are routes that are new in the schedule versus last week.

YEG-MSP - 5x weekly
YEG-SEA - 5x weekly
YEG-YXU - 2x weekly - London, ON
YEG-YOW - 6x weekly
YEG-YYG - 1x weekly - Charlottetown
Edmonton to Nanaimo becomes year round, and they're adding Edmonton to Penticton too.

Edit: they're also adding non-stop to Moncton

Last edited:
It is sad if MSP is only seasonal. I would rather Alaska continue to fly here daily 1-3 times on their regional jet than lose the service because WS introduces a propeller plane to Seattle.
This is an overly negative attitude about what's just happened.

Recall WestJet will offer biz class on MSP.

This is a good day, not a bad day for YEG.

WestJet will obviously have done their homework and have a good idea of what the loads will be on YEG-MSP, but announcing it initially as seasonal is the right move. If it performs well, or even just as well as expected, then WS look like the good guys when it gets extended.

If WS had announced it as year-round off the rip then had to trim it back for winter, EdmTrekker would be saying WS is pulling the rug on YEG.

From the YEG website

1676305494056.png

Back